Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two tombstones
Contubernalis,

You can find here two tombstones that I have seen in an Italian Museum.

What do you think of it? Could you translate it?

Valete

[Image: 1794563116_3910efab4d_o.jpg]

[Image: 1793718571_052eb40d06_o.jpg]
Velite
Rita Lotti
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsdimicandi.net">www.arsdimicandi.net
The top one is CIL XI 20 = ILS 2082 from Ravenna, and reads
T(ito) Flavio T(iti) f(ilio) / Pup(inia) Rufo / militi coh(ortis) XII urb(anae) / et coh(ortis) IIII pr(aetoriae) / ordinato architec(to) / tesserario in |(centuria) / b(eneficiario) praefector(um) praetor(io) / cornicular(io) praef(ecti) anno(nae) / |(centurioni) leg(ionis) XIIII Gem(inae) et XI Cl(audiae) et / II Aug(ustae) et VII Gem(inae) / Ulpia pientissima soror et / Aelia Secundina heredes / ex testamento faciend(um) curav(erunt)

To Titus Flavius Rufus, son of Titus, of the (voting) tribe Pupinia, soldier of the 12th Urban cohort and [ordinatus is weird. It implies the centurionate, IIRC, but would be out of order] architectus and tesserarius of a centuria in the 4th Praetorian cohort, beneficarius to the Praetorian Praefect, cornicularius to the Praefectus Annonae, centurio of Legions XIV G, XI Claudia, II Augusta and VII Gemina. Ulpia, his very pious sister and Aelia Secundina, his heirs had this tombstone set up according to his will.

Can't find the other one in the Clauss database (or not quickly enough), maybe someone else can?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Dear Jasper

Also the second it is from Ravenna.
As you see thick times in the museums there are some surprises. :wink:
The second seems me very interesting because M Apicio is an EVOCATUS, a status a little stranger in the Roman military history

Speaking of the first tombstone what is the Cornicularius?

Valete
Velite
Rita Lotti
The 2nd one is CIL VIII 11

M(arco) Apicio T(iti) f(ilio) / Cam(ilia) Tironi / p(rimo) p(ilo) leg(ionis) XXII Primig(eniae) P(iae) F(idelis) / praef(ecto) leg(ionis) XIII Gem(inae) / |(centurioni) leg(ionis) XV Apollin(aris) evoc(ato) / a comment(ariis) cust(odiarum?) / optioni evoc(ato) salar(iario) curat(ori) ab indicib(us) / patron(o) mun(icipii) Raven(natium) / pontif(ici)

"To Marcus Apicius Tironis, son of Titus of the Camilian tribe, primus pilus of Legio XII Primigenia p.f., praefect of Legio XIII Gemina, centurio of Legio XV Apollinaris..."

then I'm having some problems... I guess he's not an "evocatus" but rather

"selected to instruct the guards"

and while he was optio he was responsible for the salaries

but I don't know what to do with the rest..."as indicated/or suggested by the patron priest of the town of Ravenna" ????
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Hi,

The second one is not CIL VIII, 11 but CIL XI, 19 (CIL VIII is dedicated to the inscriptions from northern Africa - Egypt excluded).

Marcus Apicius Tiro states his military career in more or less an inverse way, with his last and more important functions first (primus pilus and praefectus). He was an evocatus (recalled to duty) while he had several administrative functions in the legion (a commentariis, curator ab indicibus...) earlier on.
Last he states his non-military 'exploits': he was a patron of the municipium (town) of Ravenna and a priest (he doesn't indicate for which god or goddess).

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
thanks of all, very interesting Big Grin

What's "curator ab indicibus"?
And "Cornicularius"

Thank you very much

Valete
Velite
Rita Lotti
Quote:The top one is CIL XI 20 = ILS 2082 from Ravenna, and reads
T(ito) Flavio T(iti) f(ilio) / Pup(inia) Rufo / militi coh(ortis) XII urb(anae) / et coh(ortis) IIII pr(aetoriae) / ordinato architec(to) / tesserario in |(centuria) / b(eneficiario) praefector(um) praetor(io) / cornicular(io) praef(ecti) anno(nae) / |(centurioni) leg(ionis) XIIII Gem(inae) et XI Cl(audiae) et / II Aug(ustae) et VII Gem(inae) / Ulpia pientissima soror et / Aelia Secundina heredes / ex testamento faciend(um) curav(erunt)

To Titus Flavius Rufus, son of Titus, of the (voting) tribe Pupinia, soldier of the 12th Urban cohort and [ordinatus is weird. It implies the centurionate, IIRC, but would be out of order] architectus and tesserarius of a centuria in the 4th Praetorian cohort, beneficarius to the Praetorian Praefect, cornicularius to the Praefectus Annonae, centurio of Legions XIV G, XI Claudia, II Augusta and VII Gemina. Ulpia, his very pious sister and Aelia Secundina, his heirs had this tombstone set up according to his will.

Can't find the other one in the Clauss database (or not quickly enough), maybe someone else can?

Now that would have been a good name to have, as opposed to Magivs.... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Cornicularius is basically an administrative/staff officer, the highest ranking noncom.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:What's "curator ab indicibus"?

Well, the inscription says: evoc(ato) salar(iario) curat(ori) ab indicib(us), but perhaps salar(iario) should be seen as salar(iorum) instead. This would mean that he was the caretaker of the salary list of his unit.

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Quote:Hi,

The second one is not CIL VIII, 11 but CIL XI, 19 (CIL VIII is dedicated to the inscriptions from northern Africa - Egypt excluded).

Marcus Apicius Tiro states his military career in more or less an inverse way, with his last and more important functions first (primus pilus and praefectus). He was an evocatus (recalled to duty) while he had several administrative functions in the legion (a commentariis, curator ab indicibus...) earlier on.
Last he states his non-military 'exploits': he was a patron of the municipium (town) of Ravenna and a priest (he doesn't indicate for which god or goddess).

Hans

oh sorry, dunno how i managed to mess that up :roll:
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]