Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT / Romanarmy.com v3, ie Future RAT
True Jasper! It would be necessary to contact the publisher and see ho they feel about offering the book through RAT in a digital format. You may have to pay for the download of the full version, but that would be OK with me. It's going to be a trend anyway, RAT would be at the cutting edge. Think big! Go digital! :lol:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I'd be happy to think big, but 1) someone is going to have to chase publishers & make deals, not something to be done in a lost few minutes and 2) once you starting paying and receiving money you become some kind of business and you get all the niceties thereof...
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:I guess the following would apply to the forum in general no matter if a new or old version:

I noticed that if a new member overlooked the forum rule to have his/her real name in the signature he/she is asked to do so always in the thread. But this particular thread usually does not deal with forum rules but with a totally different topic. So the request of the moderator is just blowing up the thread unnecessarily and makes it harder to follow the actual topic of the thread. So would it not be better to contact the users in question by PM instead of posting it in a thread?

I usually do contact the members via PM, different mods have different styles.

On thing that you as a group also need to remember is that it takes mods time to look over each topic and read each post, I spend about 2-4 hours a day on here just reading and checking the posts. Most times I solve a problem or remove a post that blatantly violates the rules before it is seen by more than one or two people. Other times I send a PM to the poster or even lock a thread until we have a moderator conference.

Making dozens of small forums areas will make our job harder. I already can never get all of the topics read starting at the top or bottom of the main page before there are more posts. I shudder to think of the extra time we would have to spend if we have a topic area for Scythians, another for Dacians, another for Gauls, another for Celts another for Germanic, Persian, Carthaginian, Lybian, Spanish, Sicilian, Pirate, Egyptian, Macedonian Sucessor, Selucid successor, Spartans, Athenians, Thebens, .... and so on. I do recommend having a membership form that you actually are forced to read and agree to the rules before posting, and that you actually fill out, including a signature block, and a how to use the site, before you start asking questions that are easily answered by using the search function.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Caius,
Well, like I said, I was just brainstorming (which is what I thought this was about?) and didn't really have any clear idea how things worked in the real world of RAT. But if moderator paucity is the problem, then maybe some more moderators for sub topics could be enlisted?

Again, I wasn't trying to ruffle an overworked feather, just looking at things from the user perspective. Not the programmer or the maintenance side.

You guys do a great job, and I, for one anyway, thank you one and all for keeping things rolling in a good direction.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:You guys do a great job, and I, for one anyway, thank you one and all for keeping things rolling in a good direction.
Hear, hear! Yes, Jasper and the moderators have created something really special.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Second that! But we are getting somewhat astray again ......

I understand the legalities and can wel imagine RAT doesn't want to handle the money side. Perhaps we could contact some publishers, beginning with the ones that have published much sought after books as Iron for the Eagles and the likes. If they would make the downloads available, the RAT system would be no more then a catalog of links, sometimes going to the site where the book has been made available, sometimes to a "Pay per download" site. As I pointed out, digital books are a coming thing.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote: incorporate an optional blog into a users profile page? So they can use it for day to day non-Roman things, projects, what they got up to at events etc.

Maybe make profile pages interactive so a user can add photos or video where people can add comments/ask questions.

It's not just that I'm nosey, honest :wink:

Smile I second Kat's idea! I am nosy ... I like to know what everyone gets up to, lol. Seriously though I think it would be a great way for members to share their news, whether it be a Roman project they're working on, or just something that's going on in their non-Roman life.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote:I noticed that if a new member overlooked the forum rule to have his/her real name in the signature he/she is asked to do so always in the thread. But this particular thread usually does not deal with forum rules but with a totally different topic. So the request of the moderator is just blowing up the thread unnecessarily and makes it harder to follow the actual topic of the thread. So would it not be better to contact the users in question by PM instead of posting it in a thread?
Svenja,
I usually do both. Since new members often don't react to a PM, I've learned to write in the thread (which is what they read) and a PM on top of that. Even then, there's not always a reaction. My apologies for breaking up the thread (sometimes I delete the posts that are only about signatures, depending on how fast the reaction is), but like CF says, it's hard enough for us to keep threads on track as it is, we don't have the time for such things.

Quote: I do recommend having a membership form that you actually are forced to read and agree to the rules before posting, and that you actually fill out, including a signature block, and a how to use the site, before you start asking questions that are easily answered by using the search function.

I second that! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
It would be great to have a World Travel guide, by location and by exhibit.

For static displays you could have a listing of museum information, let's list what days it is open and closed, what hours, what Roman military items (generally) and also whether or not photography is allowed.

We could just start a separate thread about museums, and have people use the search function, but some museums are in small towns, or places a foreigner would not think to search. Just in the area around Pompeii Italy were so many small museums that I was unable to visit them all even with more than a week in the area! There is a gladiator museum in Capua, yet also another small museum with Roman remains, (and Samnites and ...)

Or have a section about museums, and break it into threads by country and region, linked to a map.

Also the traveling exhibits, what they have as major interest, where they will be and when.....
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:It would be great to have a World Travel guide, by location and by exhibit.

For static displays you could have a listing of museum information, let's list what days it is open and closed, what hours, what Roman military items (generally) and also whether or not photography is allowed.

We could just start a separate thread about museums, and have people use the search function, but some museums are in small towns, or places a foreigner would not think to search. Just in the area around Pompeii Italy were so many small museums that I was unable to visit them all even with more than a week in the area! There is a gladiator museum in Capua, yet also another small museum with Roman remains, (and Samnites and ...)

Or have a section about museums, and break it into threads by country and region, linked to a map.

Also the traveling exhibits, what they have as major interest, where they will be and when.....

Happy to hear that! Big Grin
I have proposed the same thing...yesterday...

link from old RAT
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Seems I have doomed the thread Sad
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Quote:Seems I have doomed the thread
no, you haven't ;-) )

... just came across the function to view unanswered posts ... if one pushes the button, there are by now showing up some 1,500 posts, the majority from the newsbot ... I haven't checked but there may be a lot of topics set up by RAT members going lost, whithout ever being seen by others. that is not meant to say, that the newsfeed posts are irrelevant, but may be it's possible to divide between topics set up by RAT-members who need help and the newsbot.
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Perhaps this is too small, (or too big) but would it be possible to have data bases for all the various equipment types, also split into different cultures etc?
Such as Roman: Swords, Helmets, armour, dagger
Greek: etc
Carthaginian:
Pathian:
Sasanian:
Etruscan:
Germanic:
Celtic:
etc

I have seen a book on Celtic armoutr and weapons which had amazing artifacts thet I never new existed, and have never seen on here either..
And as has been pointed out, there are over a thousand greek helmet alone...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It's not impossible Byron, but much depends on the community to fill such databases.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jasper,

I think there's a way you can set up a seperate wikipedia type thing, as another forum I am apart of is trying to do that (but having a hard time getting people to write articles/entries for it). They're still experimenting with it, but here's what they have so far: [url:2xvos01u]http://frontierfolk.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page[/url]. Even if you didn't do a wiki thing, a place where people can upload PdF files of their papers, e-books/scanned books, etc. would be another option.

Also, I second the recommendation that you check out Ravelry....they have over 1 million members from all around the world on there, and while I found it a bit overwhelming when I first joined (I was new to knitting then, so was overwhelmed to start with) I have grown accustomed to it and find it quite enjoyable. It's easy to lose many hours there, however....but then again, the same can be said for RAT. You might also want to check out the Ning groups for ideas on how to do the personal pages type of thing. I belong to the Early Guitar and Vihuela Ning group, and every member gets their own page where they can upload photos, videos, used to be able to do music (that service got cut just a few months ago), blog posts, etc....and there's a discussion feature on each individuals page where visitors can comment on what they have available, discuss directly to the individual something that came up in the general forum, etc. etc. [url:2xvos01u]http://earlyguitar.ning.com/[/url] is the site if you want to check it out for ideas. I'm NOT advocating that RAT move to a Ning site, as I don't think it would work, but it might give you some things to ponder about regarding RATv3.

Now...how about a chat room? You can have a general chat room where people can just enjoy themselves among friends, and then have a seperate "conference" room, where say once a week/month/however frequently you decide to make it happen you can have a special author/speaker/topic covered? It can remain locked until say 30 minutes before the presentation/discussion and then just get closed the next day until the next special presentation. Trying to hold a presentation/scholar time in a regular chatroom is darn near impossible, hence the second one just for that use. I do like the idea of having a conference option (either integrated or seperate from a chatroom)....maybe allow the speaker to use a webcam or even pre-film the lecture and upload it, and then use a chat feature for people to discuss the lecture after the video/presentation is over? Again, you can schedule a day/time for that to occur....and it would be a stepping stone towards having cyber access to future RAT conferences for those of us (poor grad students) who can't make it across the pond.

Cheers,
Adam
Gaius Opius Fugi (Adam Cripps)
Moderator, Roman Army Talkv2
Forum Rules: http://www.ancient-warfare.org/index.php...view=rules