Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DVD ideas?
Don't know if it's available on dvd (I have it on video), but the 1937 Scipio l'Africano is an extraordinary account of the Roman invasion of Africa in the 2nd Punic War. It's a propaganda piece for Mussolini's imperialistic designs in N.Africa, and an amazing piece of cinema.

Also, if you're watching Ben Hur, try the 1925 version too.

And there's the hysterically awful The Viking Queen made by Hammer in the mid 60s. Ignore the title - it's about Romans and Iceni (though not Boudicca) coming to blows. And do note - it is truely AWFUL!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Scipio-Africanus- ... B000065VVG

Yup, it's out on DVD. One left in stock.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
CALIGvLA......... and then saying:

can't get more respectable than that

on which i would just like to say in reply.....

Open your eyes, PROCvLvS !!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Caius Fabius wrote:
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Very Happy

OH. I agree. At Spain it were traducted "Golfus de Roma". It's a nice adaptation of the Plauto's comedies, and with a decent ambientation.
My favorite "roman"....after "Bryan´s life" Big Grin
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Quote:A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Big Grin

This one is a must see! You'll laugh silly. Smile

Also, as mentioned before, "I, Claudius". Derek Jacobi is brilliant in that one.

If you happen to like the Middle Ages as well, I recommend "Kingdom of Heaven", the full director's version. If you like historical Brit comedies, try the "Blackadder" series starring Rowan Atkinson, but start at Series 2, not Series 1!
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
For the Charlton Heston fans out there, try "The Warlord," a little-known film starring Heston as a Norman knight sent off to take control of a fortified tower on the coast of France. He is to guard against Frisian raiders but gets sort of side-tracked. The late Richard Boone (Paladin of "Have Gun, Will Travel") is also in it. It is a very differeent film from Heston's usual roles.
Quote:For the Charlton Heston fans out there, try "The Warlord,"

Certainly agree with your choice there Hugh. A classic tale of a struggle between the filmmakers and star Heston, who wanted a film showing an intimate story based on a play called 'The Lovers' and the studio executives who wanted an epic. The final film title is a clue perhaps to who had the biggest say.

Perhaps because it was about an era not filmed very often, the costume department did not have recourse to a large stock of inaccurate gear and for once provided a creditable supply of costumes. The Normans actually look like Normans even when played by a cast more familiar to Westerns and Heston and others shaved their hair to give it the Norman style! Look out for the Frisan raiders chieftain played by Henry Wilcoxen who sports the Thorsberg helmet in the opening scenes.

For a bit of light relief I would also recommend 'King Arthur', plus get in line early for the queue to get the DVD of 'The Last Legion', as there is sure to be a rush! :wink:

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:If you happen to like the Middle Ages as well, I recommend "Kingdom of Heaven", the full director's version.

I started to watch this and was rather distraught to see Kevin McKidd's role end so soon, am hoping he lasts a bit longer in The Last Legion Cry

Have been merrily adding some of your suggestions but they don't seem to be liking sending me anything vaguely historical - 300 aside (which I rather enjoyed).
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Quote:For the Charlton Heston fans out there, try "The Warlord," a little-known film starring Heston as a Norman knight sent off to take control of a fortified tower on the coast of France.

Yes, a seldom seen film and yet impressive enough to inspire a toy company to make a full line of "War Lord" playsets and toy soldiers (along with additional Saxons, Vikings etc.) in both unpainted plastic & painted metal. (They also have Romans, Spartans and more modern fare.)

http://www.conteco.com/

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
you might also enjoy this thread....
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... ight=video
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:
Senovara:44ngszv5 Wrote:If you happen to like the Middle Ages as well, I recommend "Kingdom of Heaven", the full director's version.

I started to watch this and was rather distraught to see Kevin McKidd's role end so soon, am hoping he lasts a bit longer in The Last Legion Cry

Yeah, I really liked McKidd in that too! I'm glad that he's now getting more roles (and starring in a tv show too) ... I can still remember him playing a young priest for a small role in "Father Ted", LOL.

Well, I can definitely say that he lasts longer in The Last Legion. And if you haven't seen it yet, watch "Rome"!!
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
If you don't mind a cartoon you might try "Asterix and Oberlix".
They're fun for all (truly-unlike Caligula) and might be easier to get since you're not on this side of the pond. I have several a friend sent me from Germany.Maybe not the most accurate but...
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens