Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DVD ideas?
Hi all

I'm having a 3 month DVD-a-thon because of an online free trial and already getting stuck for ideas.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of any semi-decent Roman films I can try? From memory the ones I have seen begins with Gladiator and ends with Life of Brian Big Grin

Or any film recommendations full stop..?!

Many thanks
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
My favorites are Masada (a 6 hour epic on the judean war) and Ben hur.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Just Movies or tv series applicable? ROME I & II are great......
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Spartacus is always amusing.....
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Don't think I've ever seen Spartacus :oops:

Adored "Rome", I'm blissfully unaware of any inaccuracies in armour etc. Probably best series I've watched on TV. My family will feel my wrath if I don't get the S2 boxset for christmas!!
Kat x

Try "The Fall of the Roman Empire." It covers much the same territory as "Gladiator" but does it rather better and has Sophia Loren in it. Smile And "Spartacus" was state of the art for Roman studies when it came out, but that was nearly 50 years ago.
Augustus with Peter O'Toole is a very good movie if my memory serves me correctly.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Big Grin
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
By all means try "I Claudius" (if you haven't already). I too enjoyed HBO's Rome, but "I Claudius" is still the odds on favorite at our house. It is over 30 years old now but it still works, and very well at that.

There are many other films about ancient Rome, many of the better ones have already been mentioned.

Other titles that come to mind (in no particular order and with no particular recommendation):

Quo Vadis 1951
The Sign Of The Cross 1932 (filmed on location in Fresno California Confusedhock: )
The Robe 1953
Julius Caesar (with Brando as Mark Antony)
Caesar & Cleopatra (1934 with Claudette Colbert)
Cleopatra (with Burton & Taylor)
Hannibal (1960 with Victor Mature in the title role)

There are others of course, but these are the few I recall at the moment.

Good luck and good viewing.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Fantastic thanks all, that'll keep me busy for a while!
Kat x

Quote:A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Big Grin

OH. I agree. At Spain it were traducted "Golfus de Roma". It's a nice adaptation of the Plauto's comedies, and with a decent ambientation.
Added "I Claudius" disc set as I've never seen it.

Only Ben Hur they had was a cartoon, might be more my level but will give that version a miss for now Big Grin Sure I'll see it on TV though.

I've got 300 heading my way this weekend, wasn't able to catch it at the cinema. Looks very visual even if it's not authentic!
Kat x

Be sure to get Bob Guccione's "Caligula." I mean, with a script by Gore Vidal how can you lose, right? Has Peter O'Toole, Malcolm MacDowell, Helen Mirren, John Gielgud, can't get more respectable than that. Be sure to have the family in to watch it with you.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:Be sure to get Bob Guccione's "Caligula." I mean, with a script by Gore Vidal how can you lose, right? Has Peter O'Toole, Malcolm MacDowell, Helen Mirren, John Gielgud, can't get more respectable than that. Be sure to have the family in to watch it with you.

*goes off to read a review*

Ha, you almost had me there...

"hey mum, some fella on the internet recomended this....."
Kat x

....and it was fun for alllll the family..... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel