Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pyrrhus Helmet
Quote:This is Pyrrhus from Warlords Armies.
[Image: Pyrrus.jpg]
Looks like an early McBride -- is it?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Comerus Gallus Romus:1ztb8ut1 Wrote:This is Pyrrhus from Warlords Armies.
[Image: Pyrrus.jpg]
Looks like an early McBride -- is it?

I think you've misunderstood me. I'm not comparing the Boeotian helmet on the coin to that of the Pyrrhus bust. I'm referring to Gioi's statement that "Pyrrhus helmet is a unique helmet... just like some of each Kindom of Alexander's sucessors would have one..." The helmet worn by the Bactrian king on the coin is not unique. It is just a late style Boeotian helmet, whereas Pyrrhus' is unique.

Quote:Looks like an early McBride -- is it?

Yes it is, from a book entitled, IIRC, Warlords.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:
D B Campbell:27jud3r7 Wrote:Looks like an early McBride -- is it?
Yes it is, from a book entitled, IIRC, Warlords.
It was originally the artwork for a Nic Sekunda article on the leukaspides in Military Illustrated.
cheers,
Duncan
Quote:The reconstruction that the Germans have done ( www.heteroi.de ) is a good one.
See here:
Hellenistic Helmet
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:
Quote:The reconstruction that the Germans have done ( www.heteroi.de ) is a good one.
See here:
Hellenistic Helmet

So a pair of goat horns either at the temple sideways or at the front begining of the crest like the very later helmet of Georgios Kastriotis (Skerderbay) and speculative red paint or even purple (Macedonian frescoes).
I could also be amaranth based on Alexander sarkofagos.

And voila Pyrros helmet.

Kind regards
On the matter of Pyrrhus' horned helmet, Plutarch says he had cheek pieces fashioned like Rams heads, perhaps these had the horns coming out of them? I would imagine the horns he had would be curled rams horns like the ones of "Zeus-Ammon".
Dennis Flynn
Plutarch Purros 11 mentions the goat horns in battle against Demetrios.
From the greek text it is clear that hornms were on the helmet close to the crest or part of the crest.
Kind regards
I thought I should add to this text that there are actually two distinct facsimilies of this bust, though I don't know the background behind the difference. One has no cheek pieces, more detail on the crown of the helmet, no wreath, and a chinstrap tied above the visor of the helmet; the other is the one discussed here, with wreath and cheekpieces.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
heres a pic of the statue from behind [Image: PyrrhusEpirus2.jpg]
Dennis Flynn
Mhmm, it seems it is only me, but does the helmet of Pyrrhos (with cheek guards) not look like a typical Macedonian-Hellenistic helmet? Very similar to some other examples of the 3rd and 2nd c. BC, e.g. on the Pergamon altar. Of course the helmet is made individually but was this not the case for most helmets? What is so special with it?

BTW, I'm looking for more pictures of Hellenistic helmets, to utilize it for a reconstruction I'm considering. Is there a good source in the Inet?
Wolfgang Zeiler
Geala said :-
Quote:Mhmm, it seems it is only me, but does the helmet of Pyrrhos (with cheek guards) not look like a typical Macedonian-Hellenistic helmet? Very similar to some other examples of the 3rd and 2nd c. BC, e.g. on the Pergamon altar.

...I would agree, nothing terribly unusual about it....fairly typical.. Smile
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Geala said :-
Quote:Mhmm, it seems it is only me, but does the helmet of Pyrrhos (with cheek guards) not look like a typical Macedonian-Hellenistic helmet? Very similar to some other examples of the 3rd and 2nd c. BC, e.g. on the Pergamon altar.

...I would agree, nothing terribly unusual about it....fairly typical.. Smile

If you look beyond the shared characteristics of almost all Hellenistic helmets, it is fairly unique in shape, and not like any other example that I know of from the Hellenistic period. Maybe you could post a similar example?
Ruben

personally I love the Pyrrhus helmet, I think its a magnifiscent and beautiful piece.
Dennis Flynn
To Ruben - I had taken it as a given that virtually all Greek and Roman helmets, not for the most part being mass produced, are individual...

Quote:...the shared characteristics of almost all Hellenistic helmets....

...QED then, it is typical of a Hellenistic helmet! Smile D
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helmet of Pyrrhus of Epirus Bryan 8 4,353 03-13-2014, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Renatus