Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fires in Southern California!
This will be quick.

Most of the fires in northern LA county (where I live) are just about fully contained or are burning away from civilization. The exception is the Castaic fire, which is now approaching the town of Fillmore. Chris Troike, one of our legionaries who lives in Castaic, was allowed to return home with his family last night, and his house was still there (thank the gods!). The fire had burned up to the edge of his development, but was turned back by those heroic Super Scooper planes. Thanks, Canada, for sending them our way!

Resources are now being shifted toward Lake Arrowhead, San Bernardino and San Diego, where the winds are still strong and fires continue to threaten housing areas.

As a side note, one of our members, Jim Miller, who lives in the Malibu area, was burglarized over the weekend. I'm not sure if this was a result of him having to evacuate because of the fire; if so, it represents an act of looting, for which the penalties are much greater than simple burglary (I'll vote for crucifixion!). Anyway, his Albion Pompeii Gladius was among the items stolen.

If anyone sees an Albion Pompeii gladius going up on Ebay in the next few days, please be aware it could be Jim's and post a PM to me or email me at [email protected] . Thanks!
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
thats the good thing of re-enactment... couple it to a good survival course and you dont need a house anymore!

however it of course is sad for the POOR people who live in the fire-zone....

the Rich and famous i personally couldnt care less about.......

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:This will be quick.

Most of the fires in northern LA county (where I live) are just about fully contained or are burning away from civilization. The exception is the Castaic fire, which is now approaching the town of Fillmore. Chris Troike, one of our legionaries who lives in Castaic, was allowed to return home with his family last night, and his house was still there (thank the gods!). The fire had burned up to the edge of his development, but was turned back by those heroic Super Scooper planes. Thanks, Canada, for sending them our way!

Resources are now being shifted toward Lake Arrowhead, San Bernardino and San Diego, where the winds are still strong and fires continue to threaten housing areas.

As a side note, one of our members, Jim Miller, who lives in the Malibu area, was burglarized over the weekend. I'm not sure if this was a result of him having to evacuate because of the fire; if so, it represents an act of looting, for which the penalties are much greater than simple burglary (I'll vote for crucifixion!). Anyway, his Albion Pompeii Gladius was among the items stolen.

If anyone sees an Albion Pompeii gladius going up on Ebay in the next few days, please be aware it could be Jim's and post a PM to me or email me at [email protected] . Thanks!

Glad we could repay the debt.....as hope these fires die soon! :?

And as far as the looter goes, crucifixion is too lenient.... :evil:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
ill second that!

a nice flagellatio like in the passion of the christ would do nicely....... as a first....

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Dave, I've posted LEG IX, will keep an eye on!

------

Newer fire in Orange County, immediately north of San Diego County may affect some Leg IX members. All but 2 members in So California have checked in... Seems G Marius Traianus didn't bug out afterall; Halituscaninus was working the fire situation near Santee

The Santiago Fire in OC has grown large , spreading rapidly.

Section of the Witch Creek Fire in north S Diego County near/on Mt Palomar contnues to spread; Fallbrook/Rice Canyon fire growing; HArris/Potrero Fire in southern and eastern San Diego County grows, moving east and north.

Some new evacs overnight in those areas mentioned.
'
OVER 530,000 San Diegans evac'd, tens of thousands more in other areas of So Cal with more expected, especially in Orange County. Tens of thousands of San Diegans are being allowed to return home, last night and more today.

More firefighters injured.

More homes destroyed, more businesses destroyed... . thankfully this may be less than the fires in 2003!

The national news services are saying that the hot dry high speed westerly Santana winds are lessening (true) and that its a good thing that the usual easterly air flow off the ocean is a welcome relief (not so true).. ... the winds blowing east off the ocean push the fires into areas east, south and north of where they are into areas that didn't burn!

Ths is why, for example, the mountain town of Julian in San Diego County near where the Witch Creek Fire started is under a new evacuation order! Folk were allowed back in and have been ordered out again because the fire has REVERSED direction!

Don't believe a damn thing about "Katrina-like" circumstances reminiscent of New Orleans happening in San Diego! Though more San Diegans have had to evacuate than folk from New Orleans there is no govt botching of relief and aid.

Politicians and others ranting about how the War made the fires worse is pure CR^PPOLA .. REMEMBER: it's the politicians who decide what to spend mony on. If THEY decide not to buy more firefighitng aircraft its THEIR fault, not Bush's, not the Republican's. That decision belongs to ALL of them! US Sen Boxer (Dem) complained that Calif Nat Guard could have played a role in fighting fires but because of "the War" things are worse.. umm.. there are 17,000 Calif Nat Guard currently in CA. She's full of "it".

The evac's in San Diego are the largest in modern US history and have had few and only minor glitches. Also the largest evac of livestock primarily horses!

Six to eight ILLEGAL ALIENS were arrested by SDPD (turned them over Immigration!) at Qualcomm Stadium for stealing relief donations... they made a number of trips over three days with 1-2 pick up trucks and took food, bedding, cots, toys and other supplies in order to sell them.

Some looting, several arrests. Stricter controls of access to evac'd areas is now in force. Fwcking ^ssholes live everywhere. There is a fun story of neighbors who caught a looter and held him for police.. seems the thief fell down... alot ...before police got there.

Only one "official" death from the fires, though two fire fighters are severely burned and are on breathing support. Another citizen fell off his roof and two elderly died while being evac'd from care facilities. I don't know why these folk don't count toward the total of deaths. Dozens of injuries, mostly fire fighters.

The fires in San Diego County are primarily burning into remote, mountianous, rural areas.. flare up all along all edges of the burned areas is remains a concern and that's why so many are not allowed to return to their neighborhoods... many hot spots, many smouldering spots..

Some of the edges of some fires in S Diego County will burn into 1st week of November.

The Santiago Fire in OC is gettng major fire fighting attention...

RED CROSS needs donations

Also
http://www.sdfoundation.org/
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Hope this is all under control soon and things return to normal (or as near to normal as possible) Sad
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
The font of all knowledge 'TheSun' newpaper, reported today that 1 million Flee fires.....is that true?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The situation looks somewhat better today as the Santa Ana winds have died down and been replaced by the more normal off shore winds that carry more moisture with them. Of course any wind can fan a fire but most officials are optimistic that they can now gain some control over this situation.

Word was that the fire near Magic Mountain would not be contained until Halloween, and they would still be fighting some of these fires into late November.

Of course Mother Nature always has the final word and things could change rapidly, but this morning, as I got off the train in Anaheim, although you could still smell the fire the temp was much cooler and the winds calm. Yesterday the trains were not going into San Diego at all -- today they are, at least for now.

I have not heard the million+ figure yet, but perhaps that includes all the burn areas. Though that still seems high it is not out of the realm of possibility.

With any luck our friends to the north and south of LA have seen the worst of this -- we do hope so.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:The font of all knowledge 'TheSun' newpaper, reported today that 1 million Flee fires.....is that true?

I've heard that number too, but I'm not sure how it's being arrived at. The most trustworthy sources are putting the figure somewhat north of half a million, which is plenty. I'm also seeing wildly differing numbers as to the number of homes and / or businesses destroyed. Some say 1,000, some say 1,300, some say 2,000 or more.

The Mainstream Media is going into Katrina mode, which means all reports must be AMPED UP TO THE MAX and exaggerated beyond recognition wherever possible. It's not necessary and does no one any good, beyond providing lurid headlines. The situation has been bad enough and doesn't need any hype.

Also, a certain political party is reverting to the Blame Game that served them so well in Katrina: The fires are the fault of (1) Global Warming, (2) George W. Bush, (3) the War in Iraq. Those talking points have been hit hard by several politicians in the last couple of days, and frankly its more than a little sickening. Why does EVERY situation have to be milked for political advantage?
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
Quote:
Quote:The font of all knowledge 'TheSun' newpaper, reported today that 1 million Flee fires.....is that true?

The Mainstream Media is going into Katrina mode, which means all reports must be AMPED UP TO THE MAX and exaggerated beyond recognition wherever possible. It's not necessary and does no one any good, beyond providing lurid headlines. The situation has been bad enough and doesn't need any hype.

Also, a certain political party is reverting to the Blame Game that served them so well in Katrina: The fires are the fault of (1) Global Warming, (2) George W. Bush, (3) the War in Iraq. Those talking points have been hit hard by several politicians in the last couple of days, and frankly its more than a little sickening. Why does EVERY situation have to be milked for political advantage?

Politiks, sadly....and I agree totally wth your comment about hyping, it is bad enough with out that, and the Sun is not the most level headed newspaper around... :roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Sean, study your Roman or Athenian history. The pols are merely doing what pols have done in electoral politics for millennia.
Quote:Sean, study your Roman or Athenian history. The pols are merely doing what pols have done in electoral politics for millennia.

I'm sure Sean has. My name, however, is Dave.

I'm not naive enough to think that the politicians wouldn't start jockeying for advantage from all this. I was just kinda hoping for some breathing space, that's all. After all, it isn't over yet. It took a while for them to start pointing fingers after 9/11, but more recently it seems any trace of civility and compassion in political discourse has gone the way of, well, ancient Athens and Rome.
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
Living in a country where huge and destructive 'bushfires' are a regular occurrence, and having had to live through one or two myself, you all Have my sincerest thoughts and sympathy in California..........we here are following the news.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
I hear of only three fatalities so far.
I hope that our American friends will not have to cope with any more loss of life and that all will come to the best possible end.

Kind regards
Unfortunately, I have heard a higher figure, but I won't quote it as I am not 100% certain what it was.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fires in Australia Gaius Decius Aquilius 9 1,908 02-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Tiberius Clodius Corvinus
  October California fires M. Demetrius 5 1,393 10-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Narukami
  Southern California Burns Hibernicus 10 1,925 10-31-2006, 10:48 PM
Last Post: Poftim