Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New dacian items discovered
Quote:The armor is riveted mail, the rings are about 5,5-6 mm external diameter and about 4 mm internal diameter, so they are very small rings. It has decorative small plates attached to the mail, some rectangular and some circular.
The other armor is a scale armor and it looks that the scales weren't riveted on leather but attached to each other.

Romulus,

This really sounds interesting. Could it be possible that the first armour you are describing is in fact a lorica plumata (minute scales which are attached to a mail backing. The scales with a medial ridge have a 90 degree angle with 4 small holes through which four riveted rings were weaved)?

I have added an older thread which includes a picture of such armour (and also contains the other armour described made out of scales which were attached to each other instead of a backing).

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... &highlight

I am looking forward to more information (especially a photo). Could you insert a scale into the photo to get a feel for the dimensions of the artefact?

With kind regards,

Martijn
No, It's not a plumata, the piece of armor has only 2 round small discs, about 1cm diameter in what seems to be the upper part and maybe 4 rectangular pieces, 2 on each side. The rectangular scales have approximately 2cm x 1cm
Romulus Stoica

Better be a hawk for a day than crow for an year!
I have received photos of the armor at Hunedoara and also a picture of another dacian armor from another archaeological site in Romania named Racatau. I can't publish them because the discoveries were not published yet and the archaeologists that gave me those pictures, specifically asked me not to post them on any site or forum. Sorry but as soon as I find out about those pictures being published, I will post links.
I have studied both pictures and I think now that dacian armor were a mixture of mail and small plates riveted OVER the mail, rivets going trough the loops of the rings. I will try to make a replica of the armor in Hunedoara, one of the archaeologists that studied that armor is interested also in making this.
Romulus Stoica

I will be looking forward to the photos in the future (or the article). In which language will it be published?

The mix of mail with some plates (rosettes?) attached to it, reminds me somewhat of the remains of mail found at Ciumeşti. Have the researchers already been able to date the artefacts, besides the fact that they are Dacian?

Regards,

Martijn
The article will be almost sure in romanian and english since one of the archeologists interested in publishing this, is a canadian studying in Romania.
I haven't see a picture of the armor found in Ciumesti but both armors(from Hunedoara and Racatau) have rosettes and also rounded rectangular or willow leaf shaped plates. Some plates look like they were some sort of hooks and hoops that were used to close or "button" the armor.
Romulus Stoica

Romulus, do you have any idea when these fragments of armour date to?
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Sorry I thought I have posted that, but I don't. The armor in Hunedoara is dated around 1st century AD or a little later, probably the Second Dacian-Roman War. For the one in Racatau, I don't know yet.
Romulus Stoica

Quote:The article will be almost sure in romanian and english since one of the archeologists interested in publishing this, is a canadian studying in Romania.

That is excellent news. Although I am fluent in Spanish, and therefore am able to figure out more or less the general contents of a study written in Rumanian, I am quite sure I would get stuck trying to understand the whole.

Romulus, you mentioned two other findings of mail armour. Do you by any chance know where I can find more information on these (internet or published)?

Regards,

Martijn
There is very hard to find informations about dacian armor and weaponry. I get this infos by talking directly to historians and archeologists when I can reach them. There are a lot of items that were never published and not available in any exhibition. Those infos I have now, are comming directly from those that did the digging. Most of the published informations are older than 1970.
Romulus Stoica

Thank you for your answer. Mail armour in general is sadly little published. I hope you can persuade some of your contacts to dedicate a nice article to this theme. :wink:

Regards,

Martijn
Well to give you an example about how things are going in Romania in archeology. I will tell you that the digging in Hunedoara, was made by two young archaeologists, one specialized in prehistory, and one specialized in medieval age. There is some material available but very little is published about the armor and the weaponry and there are no pictures of them. Here in Romanian and German:
http://arheologie.ulbsibiu.ro/publicati ... uprins.htm
The digging at Magura Uroiului, were there was discovered a scale armor but I don't have any pictures, was done by an archaeologist specialized in prehistory and he is not very interested in publishing dacian findings. At Magura Uroiului there was a prehistoric settlement but also a dacian fortified village. The finding of the armor was almost accidental.
Romulus Stoica

Quote:The article will be almost sure in romanian and english since one of the archeologists interested in publishing this, is a canadian studying in Romania.

I believe I was in touch with her a few years ago regarding excavations in Dacia...fell out of touch though. Glad to see all is well.

Legion: TBD
It's a he not a she :lol: . His name is Otis Crandell.
Romulus Stoica

It's a very busy period for me but I want to tell you that I want to try and make a reconstruction of that dacian mail with the help of Otis, the archeologist I have told you about. I'll be back with more infos on that.
Romulus Stoica

Quote:It's a he not a she :lol: . His name is Otis Crandell.

are there any females on this dig? Maybe it was someone else?

Legion: TBD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dacian Items Talcyon 6 2,944 06-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar