Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
October California fires
Everybody ok out there in South California? Report in, please.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
San Diego Romans are all accounted for. Hib and I drove through smoke plumes from the two fires in San Diego county fires on the way back from the Muzeo this afternoon.

LA folks - let us know.
Adam MacDonald

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">www.legio-ix-hispana.org
That's good to hear. Laud for your quick reply.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
All quiet in Burbank -- wind is less this time than in past years, though we can smell the smoke as the winds shift in the evening.

On the other hand, down here in Anaheim where I work the winds have been knocking down trees, sign posts, etc.

On another note...

Scythius, did you post a report on the events at the new Muzeo?

We hope to take our grandson down one weekend in November to enjoy the displays and the "Roman Market." If you haven't posted a report please do. Big Grin

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Narukami: Eother Hibi or I (or both, if you're really unlucky...) post something in the 'Muzeo' thread.

So far:

250,000 people have been ordered to evacuate.

7 helicopters are doing waterdrops, but NONE of the fixed-wing craft have been aloft yet due to visiblity at the two airfields.

Personally - although I am near San Diego bay (less than a mile) I have all of my important papers, animals and such ready to go, as the Harris fire is expected to at the very least, make some inroads into the city I live in (Chula Vista).

Other friends who live in the central inland area of the county have already been evacuated, and are staying with some of our other clise friends.

Other friends (and former employers) Jeff and Gwen of Historic Enterprises, have checked in - they evacuated from their home around midnight this morning, with Jeff's jousting horses and the rest of their animals safely in tow.

The sky in my area is deathly still, and thick with a fog-like smoke. The Santa Ana winds are ripping the hell out of the foothills in the east, with sustained winds of 35-50 MPH and gusts into the 70MPH range.

On the plus side, all of the local agencies are able to communicate between themselves much better than during the fires of 2003/

The weather conditions are much worse than 2003, and I'm sure that there will be a much higher loss of property - but it looks like there will be a much smaller rate of injury and death this time 'round.

This kind of excitement I can do without.
Adam MacDonald

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">www.legio-ix-hispana.org
Thanks for both updates Scythius.

In the past half hour the sky in Anaheim (near Angel Stadium) has gone from golden brown to dark and growing darker still as the air fills with smoke and debris.

It seems that people are generally better prepared this year, and yet that does not make it any easier to deal with.

Best of luck to those of you on the "front lines." Cry

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fires in Australia Gaius Decius Aquilius 9 1,856 02-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Tiberius Clodius Corvinus
  Fires in Southern California! Hibernicus 31 4,793 10-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius