Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Castle of Amsterdam" Award
Some time ago, a friend of mine wrote this article in a Dutch newspaper: it describes how archaeologists use exaggerated media claims to draw attention to their discoveries, and raise money. Usually, those finds have less spectacular interpretations when the official report is printed. Ever since, I am awarding a non-existing monthly award to the most inaccurate press release, which I have called the "Castle of Amsterdam Award", after another fake discovery in my hometown. Here are some winners:

Coins of Cleopatra show she was not beautiful
These coins have been known for at least three centuries; Blaise Pascal joked that this was the nose that changed history.

Wall of the Temple/Palace of Salomo discovered
A wall does not indicate the name of the owner

Zahi Hawass
He actually announces nothing.

The Some parts of the Bible are proven correct!
Not even the greatest skeptic has ever proposed that the book of Jeremiah was unreliable

The walls of Romulus
A wall does not indicate the name of the builder - worse, the dating of Latial Iron Age has been changed

The Palace of Vercingetorix
No serious scholar maintains that the Gauls were savages; there is nothing surprising about a monumental structure
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the "Castle of Aemstel" award Jona Lendering 7 1,585 05-31-2006, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering