Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Hammers
Newstead hammer.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Kind sir!
Could I trouble you for weight and some measurements on that Newstead piece? Big Grin I have just taken up smithing, and this LOOKS like a project to tackle as it involves a good few basic skills I am trying to learn.

Another question to all. I have "Iron for the eagles" in back order at Oxbow as it is sold out at present, but would very very very much welcome a copy or scan of a few pages on the production of Roman arrowheads (with pictures), as these are the first small items I will want to make for my Roman arrows to go with my shiny new Grozer Tongue ?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
If that hammer is the size it appears to be (judging by the size of the eye) you could almost make one from a slightly modified railroad spike. I've planned to do just that already, one with the peen horizontal, the other vertical. They would be a lot like a basic rock hammer, and they're already pretty much the right shape. Another spike could be the rock chisel...you gotta know there were a couple of those in a century of soldiers. They hit rock just like anybody else who digs.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Dear Robert:

The Newstead ones seems very close to that:

http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/uni/ymu/sqh ... erka05.htm

As you can see, there are the dimensions.
That last Newstead image is very similar to a raising hammer (#37.423)

Metalsmithing hammers
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:I think there is one at Corbridge, if my memory serves me well.... :?

That is correct. It is described in M.C. Bishop's book about the Corbridge hoard (and contains a nice scale drawing of the artefact).

Greetings,

Martijn
I just remember it from the event when we were there last month...
great little museum, with lots of interesting finds... Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Could I trouble you for weight and some measurements on that Newstead piece? Big Grin
Apologies, Robert -- I missed your post yesterday.
The Newstead hammers can be found on-line HERE (text) and HERE (plate) (due to the good offices of Mike Bishop, I believe).
Those tongs are exactly what I have been looking for(unsuccessfully) for some time. Hardware stores/ironmongers seem to have lost touch with the tools of the smithy! :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron, check with a farrier. They still use them, so there must be a source in your area. Horses still need shoes, and while many modern workers use modern pliers, if they work over coal, the handles are much too short.

Somewhere, I saw a "blank" set. You make the grips how you need them, but the handles and riveted joint were finished. If I can find it, I'll try to get the source on the Forum.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thanks Dave!
I thought I saw them somewhere too, but that was when I wasn't actually wanting a set....as per usual!
I should maybe check out the jumble sales in the country, haven't been there in years... :? idea:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Is a jumble sale like somebody puts things out by the road for what they can get for them? We call those yard sales, rummage sales or garage sales here, and when many of the sellers gather together in one place, it's often called a flea market. Language is a strange thing.

But you can't usually buy yards, garages or fleas. Sometimes you may get some of the latter, but that's usually unintended. :?

Grandfather used tongs like that, most likely, if he were raised in a rural area. Sometimes they're found in old barns and farm outbuildings.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Sorry, I should have said car boot sale.... people take things they want to sell, in cars and vans, to a specific site, pay a fee, then sell as much as they can get rid of........like a garage sale, but more organised.....
the one I have been to here is at a farmers market, so I will check it out!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Those tongs are exactly what I have been looking for(unsuccessfully) for some time.
These tongs? Big Grin
Hmmmm, those would do! Quite small tho... Tongue roll:

Is that the original or a reproduction DB?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel