Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Were Celtic inscriptions found in USA?
Jona I understand, and I agree with you mostly.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:Every month, I award a prize to the most exaggerate claim; I will post on that tomorrow.
Voilà: www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=19091
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I wonder about the Romans/Phoenicians crossing the Atlantic. They'd be moving at a latitude most likely between 30 and 45 degrees, and it gets pretty stormy down that way, not to mention being a pretty long way to go without fresh water. Food? Well, fish, probably, but water is the problem. Many of the swells in that ocean are much too high to safely navigate in their kinds of boats. Look how many shipwrecks there are in the very much tamer Mediterranean. A big wind could capsize many ships that were under sail.

Hard to believe that they could row a trireme 2500 miles without making land somewhere to rest and resupply. But that's just me. I sure wouldn't want to go on that voyage, for a fact!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:I wonder about the Romans/Phoenicians crossing the Atlantic. They'd be moving at a latitude most likely between 30 and 45 degrees, and it gets pretty stormy down that way, not to mention being a pretty long way to go without fresh water.
There is another scenario: those Phoenicians were sailing along the coast of western Africa. There were several Phoenician colonies out there, and gold was bought at the estuary of the river Senegal. It is easy to get caught by the North Equatorial Current (map); it is essentially how Colombus did the trick and how Cabral landed in Brasil. Any ship trying to return to the Old World, must have attempted to move to the north first, to get out of the NE Current. In this way, it may have reached Florida and the Virginias. The sailors must have suffered from water shortage and deficient food, but crossing the Ocean is not impossible. Thor Heyerdal did a similar trip in 1970 (more...).
Jona Lendering
My website
Hmm. Could be. Interesting thought. Let me know when we stray off into conjecture, though, I might miss that. :wink:

The Vikings made the same distance, but were considerably further north, and could stop off at Iceland, Greenland then Newfoundland. From Morocco to Florida is a long way of mostly open water, with the chance landing at a few islands in a huge ocean.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Let me know when we stray off into conjecture, though, I might miss that. :wink:
:lol: I think we've passed that point long ago! Still, I think that it was not impossible to cross the Ocean. Whether it happened is another question.
Jona Lendering
My website
I have not thought of this in years, but aren't there reports in the journals of the very early European settlers in North America of "white Indians"? I am operating from memory here but perhaps these incidents were recorded by French priests accompanying the explorers? One more thing, the geographic area was (I think) around Lake Huron and Lake Superior. Anybody else know anything about this? Or have I muddled it with some fiction read many years ago?
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.
You have it right, iirc. And in Central America, there's the legendary "bearded god" that they thought the Spanish conquistadors represented. (Boy, were they wrong about that!) That bearded one was said to have lighter skin than they.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Mystery Hill in Salem, NH.

its all the fault of the witches!!!!!!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Mystery Hill in Salem, NH.

its all the fault of the witches!!!!!!
Of course, the Salem witch-trials were held in Salem Massachusetts, not Salem New Hampshire...
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
doesnt mean there were no witches in Salem, NH!!

LoL

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Thanks David. I was beginning to wonder If I had made it all up! Big Grin Interesting stuff here, but doubtful after all this time since it was first written about that anyone can ever get to to the truth of the matter.
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.
If you really want to confuse the issue check out the info on the mysterious Truro Tower. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newport_Tower_(Rhode_Island)
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Quote:doesnt mean there were no witches in Salem, NH
How about Salem, OR? :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Long ago I spent a summer with Dr. J. Lawrence Angel of the Smithsonian, a physical anthropologist trained in what he termed the 'British school of physical anthropology". Not sure if this is a politically correct discipline any longer, but he said he was so astute at identifying bones he could not only tell if a skull was native american but what tribe it was. None of the other staff ever disputed him on these points, but maybe because he was so well known and a department head anyway. (the Smithsonian has tens of thousands of skeletons in their green bone cases, all nicely labeled and photographed: great project to digitize them) Hence if you have pieces of old bones there is some basis for saying what 'race' it is or at least what it looks related to.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?