Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexander the Great Illustration
Speaking of the 'Philip' tomb, I came across a site recently that boldly referred to it as " the tomb originally thought to have belonged to PhilipI, but now known to be that of Philip Arrhidaeus..." ( Alexander's half brother)

Does anybody know if this is 'Official' and how that conclusion was reached ?
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Well first of all, it was Philip II and that theory is based on indications. I've also heard of the theory about Arrhidaeus. Here is an article:
http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/macedon/
Kallimachos a.k.a. Kurt

Athina Itonia
[Image: smallsun1.gif]
[url=http://www.hetairoi.de:4a9q46ao][/url]
Whoops! ...sorry about the 'typo' and thanks for the correction, Kurt....I had seen that article also, and understood that because of that report, no further investigations of the skeleton were allowed....

But my question still remains...do 'the authorities' now agree that the tomb is not that of Philip II but rather Philip Arrhidaeus?.....or do they still'officially' maintain that it is Philip II's ?

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Sorry for not answering your question. I've been in Vergina last June and there where the signs with the name of Philip II. The article is from 2000.....
Kallimachos a.k.a. Kurt

Athina Itonia
Thanks, Kurt.....that answers the question. A cynic might suppose that the tomb of the well-known historical character PhilipII, father of Alexander, will bring in more tourist dollars than that of an 'unknown' person, or the almost unknown Philip Arrhidaeus, half-brother and mentally affected, to Alexander whose appearance on the stage of History was all too brief..... :wink:

Paul McDonnell-Staff
I asked this cynical question myself years ago. And I have to admit that I would like to think they belonged to Philip II. But these artfacts are such an enrichtment, it's secondary whom they belonged - just in my opinion.
Kallimachos a.k.a. Kurt

Athina Itonia
There are countless theories about that tomb and many of them are very convincing.However,the evidence for Philip II is too strong,though not without gaps.If you listen the points of the one side you're emidiately convinced they have to be right.Then you read the other view that opposes to the previous points and you're again convinced they're right. OK some theories are rediculous but for the moment I cannot but stay calm with the idea of Philip the second as the best candidate.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Wow,where was that all that time,Gioi?What are thesew pteryges made of?Leather?It appears to be made of 4 parts.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
It would be a sensible design, allowing the gorget to be closed around the neck, giving greater protection....!! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Johnny fantastic artwork as always, the only thing i would say is the underneath layer of ptergues could be a little longer but its just a minor thing.

love your work.

Am also working on a book how much would you charge to do illustrations for it?

Jason Hoffman
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient synagogue mosaic may depict Alexander the Great Steven James 3 2,494 09-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ValentinianVictrix
  Massacre of Greeks under Alexander the Great foojer 10 4,802 02-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Who Killed Alexander the Great? D B Campbell 8 2,888 05-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Last Post: sitalkes