Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexander the Great Illustration
Awesome work, Johnny - refreshing to see a depiction of him in different armour. Great work, as usual. Big Grin
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
Very very nice work again, Johnny. I like especially how exact You reconstructed the horses veins and headgear up to the smallest detail after the mosaic.

Greets and laudes - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Giannis said:-
Quote:The third example of a Philip's-like helmet.Just this one is bronze while the other two are iron.

While this one may look bronze, it is in fact iron !
Smile
"The helmet was donated to the Museum of Macedonia in 1998. It comes from the necropolis of the ancient town of Isar near Marvinci village, Valandovo area. As a standard piece of equipment of the Macedonian Army, the helmet typologically belongs to the sc. "Macedonian helmets." This attribution is due to several distinctive features: thin high crest above the forehead bent forward, pronounced neck-piece and specific armor-plate "pragnatidae" for the face, i.e., cheeks of warrior.

It is made of iron of high purity with admixtures of carbon, which was rarely used in ancient times and was considered a privilege of elite military units. The helmet was part of the grave goods of a burial in a chamber tomb from the 4th century BC."

I'm curious about the "second" iron Philip-like helmet you mentioned....could you post a picture on this thread, please ?
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
I want to thank Paul McDonnell-Staff for all his help on this illustration. From the helmet to the color of the tunic, I couldn't have done this without his help! Thanks again Paul..!!
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
.....Johnny's being too modest !

It was he who discovered the excellent Wikipaedia article on ancient 'Tyrian Purple', which I highly recommend to anyone curious about 'ancient purple'.....

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Giannis said:-
Quote:The third example of a Philip's-like helmet.Just this one is bronze while the other two are iron.

While this one may look bronze, it is in fact iron !
Smile
"The helmet was donated to the Museum of Macedonia in 1998. It comes from the necropolis of the ancient town of Isar near Marvinci village, Valandovo area. As a standard piece of equipment of the Macedonian Army, the helmet typologically belongs to the sc. "Macedonian helmets." This attribution is due to several distinctive features: thin high crest above the forehead bent forward, pronounced neck-piece and specific armor-plate "pragnatidae" for the face, i.e., cheeks of warrior.

It is made of iron of high purity with admixtures of carbon, which was rarely used in ancient times and was considered a privilege of elite military units. The helmet was part of the grave goods of a burial in a chamber tomb from the 4th century BC."

I'm curious about the "second" iron Philip-like helmet you mentioned....could you post a picture on this thread, please ?

WOW!Thanks for the correction Paul!This is very interesting.Why didn't all other iron items have so much carbon in them!Imagine all iron finds in this condition!

This is the second find and is probably from Italy,though I'm not sure.
[Image: GREEKIRONHELMETOFATTICTYPEside.jpg]
[Image: GREEKIRONHELMETOFATTICTYPE.jpg]
[Image: GREEKIRONHELMETOFATTICTYPEback.jpg]
Khaire
Giannis.
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Great Pics, Giannis.....I haven't seen this helmet before.Found in Italy you think? That might imply it once belonged to one of Pyrrhus' soldiers.

Looking at it, it does not appear ever to have had cheek-pieces...what do you think?

When we get the Greek Helmet Database up and running ( I am an optimist ! ), would these photos go in ? They are perfect for what is needed......even if they are copyright to someone else, permission may be sought and accreditation given.

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:permission may be sought and accreditation given
That'd be exactly the condition under which they can be included. Great pics indeed!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I don't think they had cheek pieces,either.No clue on the inside or the outside of the helm,nor the shape of the frontal and side edge suggests cheek guards.
I will have to find the helmet again on the internet and ask permission.I think it was being sold...what if it's been sold.Would the site give permission or I would have to contact the owner(impossible I suppose)
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
The copyright would belong to the seller who put up the pictures,(not the present owner - you don't have to worry about him!) or possibly, if the photos were professionally taken, the photographer...and the seller can put you in touch, so approach the seller/site you got the photos from, explain it's for educational, not commercial use, and see what they say.....

But this does raise an interesting point.....Jasper, what about scenarios where there is no copyright holder or the copright holder can't be traced. Do we do what many others do, and have a 'disclaimer' to that effect, inviting copyright holders to come forward?

Paul McDonnell-Staff
http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=755 ... eam&size=l
Remember those linothorax fittings I had mentioned in the Vergina tomb?They are just under the neck guard,which is identical to the one I had posted found in Derveni and now in Thessaloniki museum.
Khairete
Giannis

PS.It's also interesting that you can count how many arrows were put in the gorytos.Just count the arrowheads.
Giannis K. Hoplite
Yes,he must have done so...and I don't see any flash :lol:
When I got there I was comparing the sword's grip with mine from the cell phone and the guardian thought I was about to take a picture and stopped me!Very annoying!
In flickr I read in one comment that a person was taking photos secretly from different places like museums in Venice etc and he had became really good at this.The only time he remembered being cought was in Vergina and they nearly confiscated his camera! I don't understand this.In Thessaloniki museum they let me take photos without a flash and I think the same is for the Nationa Museum in Athens.Same in other archaiological museums I've been,like in Agrigento and Amphipolis...
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Quote:PS: I wonder if he took the picture as quick he could because according to you Giannis & Kallimachos its not permited :lol:
The guy must have been lucky; everytime I was there, the room was full of guards. Personally I wouldn't have a problem not to take pictures because of the artifacts. I only wish the would published new books with new pictures, not just the ones everyone knows from Andronicos books
Kallimachos a.k.a. Kurt

Athina Itonia
[Image: smallsun1.gif]
[url=http://www.hetairoi.de:4a9q46ao][/url]
The thing is,Kurt,that the books won't focus on things that some few ceazy re-enactors find interesting.I'd love to know the lenght of the nail behind those gold fittings from the linothorax,for instance. But a book has to be economically viable. Or I'd be more interested if those lino fittings were bronze rather than gold,because it would be closer to the common thing,but they wouldn't be so catching for the eye.
I suppose every single find has been pablished from Vergina,but only scholars have access to them, since no tourist would find some rusted proken pieces that amazing as I do.
Conclusion: Why don't they at least let us take photographs of the finds that are desplayed,because there are hundreds more that are kept in the basement.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Quote:Conclusion: Why don't they at least let us take photographs of the finds that are desplayed,because there are hundreds more that are kept in the basement.
Khaire
Giannis

Yes that would be nice....I am definately going to have to visit there next time I go to Greece!! Would be nice to see the stuff in the basement too!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient synagogue mosaic may depict Alexander the Great Steven James 3 2,513 09-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ValentinianVictrix
  Massacre of Greeks under Alexander the Great foojer 10 4,950 02-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Who Killed Alexander the Great? D B Campbell 8 2,905 05-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Last Post: sitalkes