Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarmatian (or Scythian) soldiers in the 1st century AD
Jef said:-
Quote:I'm still unsure what a Sarmatian fighting for Rome would wear armourwise. A horn cuirras? Chainmail? A metal squamata?

There is a damaged stel found at Chester, England, of a Sarmatian Roman Auxiliarymounted standard bearer/draconarius with what looks like a conical spangenhelm, cloak, short sword strapped to right leg and probably scale armour...the stele is too damaged to say much more, alas....as to horn or squamata, your guess is as good as anyone's..... Smile
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
The short sword is a dagger that was strapped to the leg, this is a traditonal way they carried the weapon it also has a ring pommel and the blade shape is similiar to the commando dagger.Thanks for reminding me Pavllvs forgot about that one. Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Brennus said:-
Quote:The short sword is a dagger that was strapped to the leg, this is a traditonal way they carried the weapon it also has a ring pommel and the blade shape is similiar to the commando dagger.

...are you sure about this ? The photo I have is damaged/chipped in this area, just above a missing chunk, though of course you would expect the short sword/large dagger to have a ring pommel at this date...and the blade shape on the stele and on extant examples seems to be more gladius shaped, but with a more rounded point........

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:...are you sure about this ? The photo I have is damaged/chipped in this area, just above a missing chunk, though of course you would expect the short sword/large dagger to have a ring pommel at this date...and the blade shape on the stele and on extant examples seems to be more gladius shaped, but with a more rounded point........

At least on Bosporan stelae, the short dagger is always shown strapped to the right thigh with two straps after the first century BC.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:Brennus said:-
Quote:The short sword is a dagger that was strapped to the leg, this is a traditonal way they carried the weapon it also has a ring pommel and the blade shape is similiar to the commando dagger.

...are you sure about this ? The photo I have is damaged/chipped in this area, just above a missing chunk, though of course you would expect the short sword/large dagger to have a ring pommel at this date...and the blade shape on the stele and on extant examples seems to be more gladius shaped, but with a more rounded point........

That sounds just like the artefact I was drooling over in an antique shop not too long ago...... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Pavllvs the discription I have is that it is a leg straped weapon which is also mentioned in the Osprey book but I can not put my hand on the pic of it at the momment but will check it out Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Wonderful ! ...and still something of the steppe nomads their ancestors once were recognisable in their traditions.......You come up with the most amazing strange stuff, Gioi. How do you do it??

Paul McDonnell-Staff
The attack from the leap you can see in that dance is known as "salmon leap", and it is a style known as a characteristic of the warrior women in that area. Another dance that looks somehow similar and it is very old is the "Calusari" in Southern Romania but the "fight" is with sticks and without shields. The "modern" version of the folkloric dance doesn't have a lot of fight , but the original version was much more aggresive. Only men are doing that dance and they are bound by an oath when they form a calusari group. Calusari is an old word meaning horsemen or mounted warriors. Scythians and later Alans, Cumans and Pechenegs are known to have lived there together with the Thraco-Dacians and later Walachians during the migration period.
And another thing, the calusari are wearing a costume that looks familiar to the roman reenactors, you will see why.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BkyAhYFprI
Romulus Stoica

Better be a hawk for a day than crow for an year!
Did the Romans use Sarmatian archers? And what type of units did they use the most, or, to say it different, what type of unit did the Sarmatians provide most?
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Cavalry, both heavy and light.
Romulus Stoica

Better be a hawk for a day than crow for an year!
Quote:Cavalry, both heavy and light.

...I know Contus armed cavalry, probably Sarmatian were recruited as early as Hadrian's reign, but we don't know if they were dual-armed, though this seems likely. I am not aware of evidence for light cavalry until much later, when Alan archers appear. Do you have evidence for light cavalry earlier? What did you have in mind?

P.S. I sent sketches by e-mail in a form you could enlarge, but my e-mail encountered problems.I then sent two P.M.'s inquiring if you got them O.K. - but these are apparently uncollected? Did you get the sketches O.K. ?

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Cavalry, both heavy and light.

But no archers? In the first century AD, were there local men who offered their services at the Romans? Mercenaries? (Archers?)
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Quote:Jonwr I am afraid it is not a ring pommel I have across,the ring like that has to my knowledge not been found,the grip is too long and non have been found that have a diamond cross section blade, but you never know it could be new one Big Grin D
[Image: Romans1024-1.jpg]
Tony, how about the 3rd one in that stack?
I read that there was a literary reference to a stone pommel, which is what yours appears to be. Am I right? If so, where was the find, and when is it dated?
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Brian, rock crystal and jade pommels have been found at Dura Europos in Syria. They were propably of sassanian origin from the the 250-60`s Ad...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Marcvs I will get back to you Big Grin a bit bysy at the moment.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on 1st Century Sarmatian Weapons Alanus 110 34,709 02-11-2016, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Alanic Sarmatian influence in the 5th century Razzoriel 20 7,363 05-18-2015, 08:02 PM
  Sarmatian/Scythian burials Michael Kerr 25 5,021 04-03-2013, 10:30 AM