Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unemployed War Elephants
Regarding the employment of War Elephants. I am writing a new monograph on the Employment of War Elephants and their subsequent unemployment, and the cost to the state of the unemployed War Elephants, their possible retraining and reemployment in other fields and prejudice against using War Elephants in non-War Elephant career fields. It this a situation where there is age discrimination when deciding to retrain or retain the unemployed War Elephants and if they find alternative employment will they be able to regain the same standard of living as they enjoyed while working for the military?

If you have references to this subject, please let me know. I am hoping that the yet to be translated papyrii from Herculaneum area will shed more light on this matter.

Charles Foxtrot
aka Caius Fabius Iocus (sub-rusticus)
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Most elephants don't seem to like the Army life and have gone into the civil engineering fields, building bridges, clearing roadways, and other such things. Generally countries prefer that retired combat elephants not become tourist-toting pachyderms because of the dangers of them running amok and stamping on the unwary.
John Kistler
writer, businessman, elephant lover
kistlerj.,

You need to add your real name into your signature. That is a forum rule.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I think I have it fixed now to include signature, but this is a test to be sure.
John Kistler
writer, businessman, elephant lover
Well, some of them ran away from the Army to join the Circus. Maximus, of course.

(don't kill me)

CF, you're too much, man. Laud for chutzpah!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.