Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a Corinthian crest
Hi,all.
Does anyone have experience making a crest for a Corinthian helmet?
I've looked at Matt Amt's site on Roman crests and checked the previous threads. I mostly need advice on the size of the crest box(height,width,etc.)In pics, some crest boxes seem short and narrow while others look fairly tall( those with patterns and or brass above. I presume three rows of horse hair tufts would give the desired fullness. Any help/advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Here's what I did:

I tweaked Matt Amt's instructions. I used a 2x8 to start. I made a cardboard pattern 2 inches high. I held the outside arc. The inside arc was cut to fit the top profile of the helmet. I ended up with a 1-5/8" box with the ends flared deeper to fit the helmet. I made sure the front end of the pattern was always at the same spot on the helmet. I think I marked at 1 or 1-1/2" up from the ridge. The arc is 135 degrees. I'm a drafter, so this is easy in AutoCad.

I have two interchangeable crests. One has a meander pattern, the other a Greek wave pattern. You can decide your own decoration...

Once I set up the meander pattern, it was a copy/paste function with rotation to get the pattern set up. I cut out the pattern like a stencil to transfer the design to the wood. The wood itself is hollowed out on the concave surface to sit on the helmet top snugly. Gotta love those power tools with spherical rasp attachments. I used (ruined) the conical sanding attachment(s) for my sweetie's Dremel tool to incise the meander itself. I had a lot of trouble fighting the woodgrain. I don't know that I would do that again with softwood. The wave pattern was painted because incising was totally unworkable for me (I had no way of "fixing" either the piece or the tool.)

I gessoed the wood to get rid of the grain. Two thick coats worked well. I painted with yellow brass metallic paint and black acryllic paint. Lots of back and forth touch up went on. I used several acryllic spray clear coats to give it a more "metal" look (and for protection.)

The crestbox is attached to the helmet with brass machine screws (from the inside). There are brass woodworking insets screwed into the underside of the box. The helmet has a matching front hole and rear slightly-slotted hole on the "peak" line on top. I had no soldering/brazing facilities available, so I made up a system...

I used AutoCad to set up the top hole patterns for the horsehair. I fought the grain drilling those, too. Lots of kicked out holes and wood putty patches. It worked out OK, though. There was a tremendous amount of hand sanding involved before the gesso was applied.

If I had had the tools/skill set, I would have gone with hooks and rings to attach the crestbox to the helmet.
Cheryl Boeckmann
Could we see a closeup of the meander and Greek wave patterns you picked, please?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Sure, if I can get the attachments to work...
Cheryl Boeckmann
Here's the other one...
Cheryl Boeckmann
Thanks very much,Athena, for the great "how-to". Please do show the patterns if you can. I'd love to see your work. I, too, have considered
using a tie-ring type method of attatching the crest to the box. It would certainly make removing the crest much easier.

Oh, well, late again. Great job. Both look fantastic. Now if I can just get it to work for me.
Andy Booker

Andronikos of Athens
I'll see if I can get full size .pdfs of the drawing files - most people don't have the ability to read .dwg files. You can print them out in 1:1 pieces and tape them together to get the pattern. The crest hole patterns are also on the drawings.
Cheryl Boeckmann
Athena,
Very generous, thanks.
Laudes to you.
Andy Booker

Andronikos of Athens
Hmmm, let's see if I can get this to work.
Cheryl Boeckmann
Here's the other one...
Cheryl Boeckmann
Beautiful work. If I ever get another Corinthian or Spartan helmet, I plan to steal your idea. Thanks so much for the data.

And a laud to you for how cool that all looks!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
A little late, but have a look here:
http://www.hetairoi.de/pages/spaetkor/build.html
Kallimachos a.k.a. Kurt

Athina Itonia
[Image: smallsun1.gif]
[url=http://www.hetairoi.de:4a9q46ao][/url]
Quote:A little late, but have a look here:
http://www.hetairoi.de/pages/spaetkor/build.html

Laudes Kurt!....Darn goooooooode! 8)

And to the lady, both ways are great!

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Athena,
Who made your helmet? I am researching manufacturers for my own panalopy that I intend to start collecting in the very near future. I am considering just using Manning for the entire set, but that will set me back $5 grand and am looking for items to cut this cost. I have made one crest myself so your design is much appreciated and will already help to shave this price down some.
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie
The helmet is a Deepeka Corinthian (plain) I purchased from Kult of Athena. They have a website. The prices are reasonable. If it is in stock, turnaround is fast. The helmet also comes with a padded cotton? liner. I talked to the owner on the phone. He is most helpful.

If you need a reasonable horsehair supplier, I used M & M Horsehair in Ohio. Google 'em.
Cheryl Boeckmann

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a Corinthian Helm? SapereAude 83 21,353 12-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Last Post: PMBardunias
  Corinthian Crest Boxes Marcus Germanicus Ferox 2 1,353 08-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr