Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st century Calceus
Oops !...that tricky terminology again Smile

The boots would be for my tribune impression, either Praetorian or Legionary. So, I believe the boots would be for an equestrian.

I'd like them to be enclosed like the ones seen on the Praetorian relief from the Louvre. If there's a pattern that can be used for both 1st and 2nd century impressions that would be ideal, but I'll take the next best thing if none are known.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer, Martin.

~Theo
Jaime
Hi Theo,

Quote:The boots would be for my tribune impression, either Praetorian or Legionary. So, I believe the boots would be for an equestrian.
I'd like them to be enclosed like the ones seen on the Praetorian relief from the Louvre.

Ok, that is the same style of boot as seen on the Ara Pacis. Goette argues that this is an equestrian calceus (in Goette, Hans Rupprecht: Muleus, Embas, Calceus. Ikonographische Studien zu römischem Schuhwerk. Jahrbuch des Deutschen Archäologischen Instituts 103, 1988). This may be debatable, but at the moment it certainly is the best guess we have.
A pattern for such a boot I would base on that of the caleus as shown in this thread here, shorten the tabs and change the tongue to fold down over the vamp and side as seen on the reliefs.
It also seems to be a type of shoe that was around at least in the 1st and 2nd cent., probably in the 3rd cent also.
Hi Martin,

The modification seems very simple. And the tongue, I would guess, would need to be lengthened enough to fold over the sides and reach down almost half-way to the ground.

Quote:It also seems to be a type of shoe that was around at least in the 1st and 2nd cent., probably in the 3rd cent also.

That's a bit surprising. By the end of the Severan era I suspect the pattern finally disappeared.

Thank you, again, Martin.

By mid-September I should have a pair of equestian calcei in my hands that are based on your recommendations. If you like, I could post photos of them here on this thread.

Laudes awarded Big Grin

~Theo
Jaime
Martin,

I think I may have sighted calcei that look remarkably similar to your own.
In fact, there may be two pairs of them in this panel from the Arch of Constantine which is a reused Hadrianic scene of a lion hunt.

There appear to be the same tabs on the upper portions, as seen on your calcei, IMO. The left figure is Hadrian.

Would you concur or does the artwork seem ambiguous ?

BTW, my calcei should be arriving by the end of this month.

~Theo
Jaime
Hi Theo,

Quote:There appear to be the same tabs on the upper portions, as seen on your calcei, IMO. The left figure is Hadrian.
Would you concur or does the artwork seem ambiguous ?

thanks for posting the pic + laus! From what I can make out I'd say yes. Reminds me that I have a picture of a reused part of an older relief as well somewhere, showing a calceus worn by a rider (a true equestrian, so to say :-) ) ) - I'll see if I can find and post it.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your shoes!
Ok, found it finally:

[Image: ArchConstantine.jpg]

It is thought to be 1st half of the 2nd cent., and was reused in the arch of Constantine.

So here we might see what was meant with the term calceus equester ...
Quote:Hello, here is a picture I took at the Deutsches Ledermuseum. I hope you will find it usefull. (Click on it to enlarge)

[Image: mainz2007152ke5.th.jpg]

Did these boots have a sole with hobnails, that has fallen off?

It looks very similar in style to the boot worn by the rider in your post Marten.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Did these boots have a sole with hobnails, that has fallen off?

No, the Mainz boots were unnailed.

Quote:It looks very similar in style to the boot worn by the rider in your post Marten.

Quite right :-) )
So the sole would not be nailed. But you could have them nailed if wanted?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:So the sole would not be nailed. But you could have them nailed if wanted?

See page 2 of this thread -> http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 201#189201 :-) )
Hmmmm, I wish I hadn't now...thought this looked familiar.. :oops: :roll:

I really need a break..... :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:So the sole would not be nailed. But you could have them nailed if wanted?
The Mainz leather finds book shows one of these boots with nails. I nailed mine. I wore them at the recent Roman Days event in Virginia and they worked out very well. Much more comfortable than caligae. The only problem is that after wearing them for two days the rear-most nails have rotated, maybe having to do with how I walk.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Awesome, Martin !

That's the clearest example I've seen.

Laudes for you Smile

Sorry, I'm still waiting on my own shoes.

~Theo
Jaime
Beautiful hand craft on these boots of page 2 your response of march 25, 2008.

I have been looking hard and wanting an estimate quote on the cost for such a pair of Calcei.

What would be your estimated cost for a foot size of 45 european or 10,5 british or american size shoe.

I have traced my foot so if there is a deal I will send you the necessary info.

The color I would like is brown similar to cuirass in the profile pix.

Thank you,

Stephen John McMahon
Stephen John McMahon
I'm not certain but I think I may have sighted another pair of calcei, Martin.
If you can see the attachments below they show part of a relief dating to the time of M. Aurelius. (At least the caption says that but doesn't mention where the relief comes from.)
It seems this shoe pattern must have had the longest longevity among the Roman upper classes.

BTW, I haven't forgotten about posting pictures of my calcei but they did not turn out so well. (I'm too embarrased to show them :| )

~Theo
Jaime