Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st century Calceus
OK. I've steeled up my nerve, and gotten some leather. I've made a duck tape and (now-destroyed sock) pattern. I'm going to cut some leather and try a pair. Heck, I've even found a way to make the Tremont hobnails go where I want them, and can put them in straight lines...that's a big improvement.

Most importantly, I've figured out how to put one of those silicone grid foot pads invisibly in the layers of sole on top of the hobnails. Modern foot vs. ancient shoe battle mostly won.

Wish me luck. I'm gonna do it and have them done in a couple of weeks or so. Felt pattern first, make adjustments, then the real thing.

Porro! Per nebulam!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Take pics of your progress as you go Dave.

Legion: TBD
Quote:I'm not certain but I think I may have sighted another pair of calcei, Martin.
If you can see the attachments below they show part of a relief dating to the time of M. Aurelius. (At least the caption says that but doesn't mention where the relief comes from.)
It seems this shoe pattern must have had the longest longevity among the Roman upper classes.

Thanks for that, Theo. Certainly looks like a calceus with one pair of corigae. Please let me know if you find out more!
Hi Dave,

good luck. If you have questions, feel free to contact me!
OK, the battle has begun.

Instead of cluttering up this thread, I've started a new one here:
<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=25881&start=0">viewtopic.php?f=20&t=25881&start=0<!-- l
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.