Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For all you nature lovers
Thought I'd post a few pics for y'all. I went on a nice little hike with my paterfamilias on Sunday. Actually, it was from the base of Multnomah Falls, shown here, to about 4000 feet above sea level. It's a popular tourist attraction with a platform at top. You hike a mile up to it, but we wanted the trailhead further above.

[Image: NP_MultnomahFalls.jpg]

From there it was pretty steep, all the way up. 7 miles one way. And of course Dad and I both were out of condition for hikes like that; we used to live, work, and play in pretty rugged country futher east in the mountains but have gotten soft from city life :oops: It was worth all the soreness and aches, though.

[Image: IM000541.jpg]

Unlogged forest too, rare so close to civilisation. With moi for comparison. I was trying and failing to find a dignified expression for the moment :lol:

[Image: IM000565.jpg]

The best part of all-it was chilly and wet, normal for fall here, but it didn't rain, which was lucky.
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
Awesome pics! Are those redwoods?

Legion: TBD
Nope, AFAIK redwoods are a Californian tree. These were just Douglas fir. It made for a certain contrast. One side of the mountain was logged reularly until the '60s.

[Image: IM000561.jpg]

The other where the previous pic was shot was not logged at all, and while such instances are common here, it still gives me the feeling of moving to a different kind of terrain every hundred feet or so. One of the many reasons I like hiking.
Goes to show you how much logging like that can destroy a forest eh?

Legion: TBD
Great pics Joel. You, me and Greg should hike up there in our kit and marching packs sometime. We could get some awesome photos.

It looks pretty wild, i wonder if the Teutoburg Forest might have looked somthing like that?

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
Funny, when I took the last photo I thought 'now how many Germans with evil thoughts could be out there?'

I had hoped to have my caligae broken in enough to take on this hike, but no such luck. This hike was strenuous enough; I think it would be even worse for people not accustomed to marching in armor. For a first time march I'd suggest Eagle Creek along I 84.
Ft. Stevens also has some pretty wild backwoods areas we can hike. Not far from where we could set our camp and displays.

I'll give you and Greg a tour when you're up here. Found a great place to set up our first camp also.

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI