Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT, Jurjen, Jona and Jasper in \'De Pers\' (Dutch)
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:7cnxrsg1 Wrote:A thing which I'm ignorant about - when did the Roman army introduce conscription? I know it from late Roman times as a given, but I have no idea as to when it was introduced.
It was normal in Republican times. A man was supposed to serve for at least six campaigns between his eighteenth and forty-third (-second?) birthday. When Rome's empire expanded, these were often six consecutive years in a faraway country, which was the first step towards a standing army. Keppie has an excellent chapter on it in The Making of the Roman Army.

So was there conscription in the time of Augustus, or was service voluntary, as stated in the article?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:So was there conscription in the time of Augustus, or was service voluntary, as stated in the article?
I think most service was voluntary, but I think that the recruitment of the auxiliary cohortes c.R. after the Teutoburg Forest disaster was forced; but I do not remember where I read this, so I may be wrong.

There was forced conscription during the Bar Kochba-crisis: at least, that's what W. Eck, says in 'The Bar Kokhba Revolt: the Roman point of view' in the Journal of Roman Studies 89 (1999) 76ff.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "NUTS" for Jona Primvs Pavlvs 2 1,512 01-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar