Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT, Jurjen, Jona and Jasper in \'De Pers\' (Dutch)
http://www.depers.nl/wetenschap/110325/ ... einen.html
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hey, I thought that this article was not supposed to appear until tomorrow?!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
So did I, but there it is! Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
nice article! Good to see some advertising. How did it come to this article BTW? did they contact you or something like that?
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Jona has his contacts. Big Grin
It's actually announced on the frontpage of the actual paper, with photo!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
It's in a language I no comprendez. Cry

Legion: TBD
It just says that we're all wonderful. Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Jona has his contacts. Big Grin
I can not deny that I know Marcel Hulspas, but the real reason why it was published, is that the RAT-community is simply NEWS. It is pretty rare that an internet forum successfully makes a cross-over to the old media, and starts a journal of its own. It is also quite rare that the distinction between academics and laymen disappears.

Meanwhile, a photo of the printed article (which is a bit different) can be found here.
Quote:It's in a language I no comprendez. Cry
It starts with some remarks about Jasper's passion for military history, continues with a remark about Ancient Warfare magazine, and tells that re-enactors are the main audience. After some remarks about the organization and size of the legions, Jurjen Draaisma and Marc Sanders are introduced; the second tells about the weight of his panoply, the first about his career as reenactor (first Arabian merchant in the Biblical Open Air Museum, now Roman soldier, now training for gladiator [hence the title]). Some remarks about Roman skeletons, about making your own panoply, and about reenactors'activities (including cooking); finally, yours truly saying something about the disappearing distinction between academics and laymen.
Jona Lendering
My website
That was the first time I tried to read a longer text in Dutch - and I am amazed to understand nearly everything! Thanks to our common ancestors! (and maybe also the fact my parents speak Plattdütsch, which is especially similiar to Dutch).

Jasper - could you please tell more about your statement

Quote:Er zijn skeletten gevonden van soldaten waarbij je aan de botten vergroeiingen ziet, veroorzaakt door het jarenlang sjouwen met zware bepakking.´

I havent known about that.
Jens Wucherpfennig
I was referring to a skeleton of - probably - a roman soldier from the Velsen fort. His right arm was more strongly developed than his left and his feet and spine show signs of overburdening.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Thanks for the recap guys. And jasper, I always knew you were wonderful. :wink:

Legion: TBD
Congratulations to all involved.
Another step closer to re-enactors being seen as serious people instead of the village idiot.
Jona, I have to concur with you. RAT is pretty amazing.
People from all levels of education, all walks of life and from all over the world are sharing knowledge about the one thing they have in common: their love for ancient history.
And don't forget the RAT conference. Another move out off the virtual world to a real time place to discuss -and to have fun- with people you would probably haven't even met otherwise.
I'm really looking forward to it. (and to the next issue of AWN of course)
Wim van Broekhoven a.k.a. Cordvs
Pvblivs Cordvs
(Wim van Broekhoven)
CORBVLO
Very well done people!!

Why did the journalist write that we re-enactors do not fight (in contrast to Jurjen saying that he will train for show fights only) because our equipment is too expensive? :?: I assumed that the likely possibility of injuries sustained as a result also had something to do with it..

A thing which I'm ignorant about - when did the Roman army introduce conscription? I know it from late Roman times as a given, but I have no idea as to when it was introduced.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Why did the journalist write that we re-enactors do not fight (in contrast to Jurjen saying that he will train for show fights only) because our equipment is too expensive? :?:

That's actually something that is said by Mark Sanders, the other re-enactors who was interviewed, from the Dutch Gemina Project. He said this in the context that we all have put a lot of money and work together and don't like that some stupid barbarian ruined our equipment when doing some fight. Big Grin Actually it is thus something that applies on Mark, but not on all re-enactors, I think.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:A thing which I'm ignorant about - when did the Roman army introduce conscription? I know it from late Roman times as a given, but I have no idea as to when it was introduced.
It was normal in Republican times. A man was supposed to serve for at least six campaigns between his eighteenth and forty-third (-second?) birthday. When Rome's empire expanded, these were often six consecutive years in a faraway country, which was the first step towards a standing army. Keppie has an excellent chapter on it in The Making of the Roman Army.
Jona Lendering
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "NUTS" for Jona Primvs Pavlvs 2 1,518 01-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar