Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
big exhibit Barbarians and Romans in Venice
Starting January 26 thru 20 july 2008 there will be in Venice a big exhibit
"Rome and Barbarians: the birth of a new world". Over 1000 pieces from europe, tunisia and the US wil be on exhibit in Palazzo Grassi.

A big catalogue will be published 700 pages with 250 color illustrations and it will be available in four languages (italia, english, french, german).

Hope many of you come. Maybe we could organize a meeting?
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
I hope to be in Italy (Roma) with my group in April next year, maybe an extended trip to Venice is in order!
Good idea, Jeff! We could take advantage of the carnival and visit Venice and the exhibit in battle kit! Usually those catalogues are very fine and just make the visit worth...

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Hi guys
went today to see the venice exhibit. Nice 48 euro catalogue with many interesting articles Big Grin .

Great stuff. Helmets, cavalry, officer, late roman, spangenhelm, bent gladius, several spathas, a roman shirt of mail, my favorite big battle sarcophagus Confusedhock: , wonderful statues, hidden treasures (coins, silver platters,...), great barbarian jewelry, hunnic swords and fragments of a bow, deformed skull, warrior equipment, books 1300 years old, gregory of tours (history of franks),...

Liked it. Maybe too many buckles and fibula :roll: . Could have been more compact. At the end I was exhausted :oops: (poor health)

jeff
Jeffery Wyss
Quote:my favorite big battle sarcophagus Confusedhock:

Which one -- Ludovisi, Portonaccio?

Cheers,

R
http://www.palazzograssi.it/roma/index.htm

Looks good!

R
The thought of archaeology in Venice never fails to raise a smile...stop, tread water, duck dive and search!! :wink:
Lochinvar/Ewan Carmichael
Portonaccio sarcophagus. Womderful
Jeffery Wyss
I think I have to go to Bonn again, as this exhibition will be on display in the Ausstellungshalle der Bundesrepublik Deutschland from 22th of August till the 7th of December 2008.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Romans vs \"Barbarians\". Could someone explain... Taxiarches 18 5,959 11-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  "Lost" City of Altinum Found Near Venice Narukami 4 3,026 09-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius