Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with two tombstones
Salvete!

In "Die Reiter Roms" Vol.2 Junkelmann mentions 2 gravestones found in Augsburg with the Inscriptions calling the Ala II Flavia pf something like Ala II Flavia Singularia (?) or something like that. He doesn't give the names of the soldiers so it's hard to find the stones.

Does anyone know which stones he means?

and most important:

Does anyone know from which period these stones are?

3rd century would make my day lol :wink:
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Can´t say it often enough:
[url:35prx9ih]http://www.ubi-erat-lupa.org/[/url]
Have you tried yet? Big Grin
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Using "Augsburg" and "Ala" as search terms in the Epigraphische Datenbank:

http://compute-in.ku-eichstaett.de:8888 ... epigraphik

brought up the following result; more creative searching may produce more:

Belegstelle: CIL 03, 05822 = D 02526
Provinz: Raetia Ort: Augsburg / Augusta Vindelicorum
D(is) M(anibus) / Victorini / Longini eq(uitis) a(lae) II / Fl(aviae) sing(ularium) Cl(audius) Latinus / aedituus singula/rium h(eres) f(aciundum) c(uravit)

I am a complete idiot in epigraphics but the DM may be a hint to a second or third century date?
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Thank you very much.
Ne the DM is no hint at a date. it appears on (nearly) all gravestones.

Does anyone know what is meant with "aedituus singula/rium"?

To the Gods of the Dead of Victorinus Longinus, eques of the Ala II Flavia Singularium, his heir Claudius Latinus, shrinekepper singularium (?) set this up.

and what exactly is singularium in those cases? It has nothing to do with the equites singulares I guess. but why are they "special"?
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Jens, in fact You are right, Dis Manibus does not appear as formula on I century gravestones.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Hi,

i think, a singularius is a bodyguard or a special soldier in officium of the legatus Augusti of the province.

Bye

Malko Linge

(Christian)
Quote:Jens, in fact You are right, Dis Manibus does not appear as formula on I century gravestones.

Well, it's not as common as it is later, but it does appear (Purtisius Atinas, CIL 11.624 (Forum Livi, Regio 8, Italia), dated to the 50s AD, to pick an example from an open document on my machine - lazy, I know!).

Off the top of my head, I'd say that the abbreviation of Dis Manibus to D(is) M(anibus) was likely to suggest a second century date or later, but using stylistic traits to date an inscription is a game of probabilities at the best of times, and there will almost certainly be counter examples for any one trait: a single stylistic trait like this really isn't enough to do more than hint at a date on its own.

On the question at the top of the thread, I'll have a quick check of Spaul tomorrow and see what he says - Spaul's normally a good place to start for these things.

blue skies

Tom
Tom Wrobel
email = [email protected]
Could You please tell me which were the criteria for dating in mid I cent. since that EDH does not work right now.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
OK, I haven't looked exhaustively, but...

The best analysis I could find was in Speidel's book on the singulares (Guards of the Roman Armies, 1978, Bonn). Speidel dates him to the 2nd/3rd century, and his description (below) is taken from pages 77-78. I'll just type away:

"Victorinius Longinus had served with the ala II Flavia at Aquilea (Heidenheim) or Aalen before he was detached to the Raetian capital for service in the guard. The ala's arrival in Raetia about AD90 gives a terminus post quem for the inscription. One might be tempted to deduce a terminus ante quem from the fact that the Raetian governor is not termed consularis. A survey of the pertaining inscriptions, however, shows that even the guards of praetorian or consular governors style themselves in the majority of cases simply "singulares" rather than "singulares consularis".

"The reading "al(ae) II Fl(aviae) sing(ularium)" is untenable: there was no such ala.

"Claudius Latinius, the heir, was also singularis of the governor. The rank of aedituus, sacristan of the unit's shrine, is known from the equites singulares Augusti and from cohors XX Palmyrenorum."

I should add that Spaul (ALA2, 1994, Andover) p113 n4, does not accept the existence of the ala II Flavia singularium either (Cichorius did, in RE, sv. 'ala' 1262, but this seems to have been dismissed since). I can't find the other inscription from Ausberg you mention. The only other member (well, we don't have his name, but still) of this ala recorded in an inscription from there is CIL 3.5823: [...de]curioni al(ae) II Fl(auiae) et / [3] co(n)s(ulari) et fl(amini) decorato / [3] [[leg(ionis) III Ital(icae) [3]]] / [3 uiu]us uiuis. The mention of two gravestones in Junkelmann might possibly be a slip for the two singulares in CIL 3.5822, but that's one for you to work out Smile (the Cichorius passage in RE doesn't help, btw.).

best wishes, and blue skies

Tom
Tom Wrobel
email = [email protected]