Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All you ever needed to know about re-enactment
Damn! that last picture blows my arguement as to why the Romans never made a bigger effort to keep Scotland! :evil: They DID know about the perto/chem industry.... :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote: and him and his little brother practice testudos together in the garden.

OK, that is awesome! Can't wait 'til mine are big enough for that.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
A quick touron story!
We were doing a gig at Ft Atkinson Neb, my wife was cutting veggies in the cook shack. As she puts the knife down this gomer grabs it by the blade. A loud yell and free flowing blood results. He turns to his wife and says "Sh*t ! Thats a real knife"
JonR
There are no real truths, just stories. (Zuni)
Yeah we had a fun time at our parades, "wherever Legion Three shows up, it's a garunteed party!"

I think the best moment was in NYC when our bus accidentally dropped us off across the street across the parade route from our intended drop off point...So we had to suit up and march across a block of other marchers...We passed by a huge Marching Band and we all got the "300 Hwoooo! Hwooo! Hwooo!" Chant.

As off the mark as it was, they 1. acknowledged our existence, not hard to do, and 2. they were cheering us on, we made a good impression. Heheh.

That and Clodius exchanging tuba honks with the bandos from the other marching band we were infront of just before we marched off. That was entertaining!

I think Signifer Bellator and myself stopped more people in their tracks when we had to run into a deli to use the latrina, between my crest and his wolf pelt...And meanwhile there's a dozen people in bright colorful Renaissance style doublets and all, and us Romans generate far more interest!

As far as silly questions/reactions, I heard from a Medieval group that at an event, one member had her infant baby in an authentic rocker inside a tent, and some visitor managed to get into the tent and was poking the baby to see if it was real or not.

At "The Big E" last year (Eastern States Exposition - a massive agricultural and 'town' faire in Western Massachusetts), they have each of the New England states represented, with reproductions of their original State buildings. In the back of Connecticut, they had the State Police Dive Team doing demonstrations with a portable water tank, where the officer has to dive down into said tank (about 12 feet deep maybe more?) and sit in a chair and perform maneuvers under water (I didn't get to see the demo, however) - Anyway, they had a "FAQ" board infront of the tank:

1. "Yes, the diver really has to sit in the chair"
2. "Yes, they are real State Police Officers"
3. "Yes, the water is REAL"

I totally agree with Matt Amt - there's no such thing as a stupid question, and I'll be as polite as possible (maybe give someone a hard time too if they deserve it), but have a really good laugh after hours.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)