Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Vatican Book : Templars were innocent of heresy
[size=150:r9kjvx85]Original Article[/size]

Quote:The leader of the order, Jacques de Moley, was one of those who confessed to heresy, but later recanted.

He was burned at the stake in Paris in 1314, the same year that the Pope dissolved the order.

However, according to Prof Frale, study of the document shows that the knights were not heretics as had been believed for 700 years.

In fact she says "the Pope was obliged to ask for pardons from the knights... the document we have found absolves them".

Funny how one misplaced document can clear up a 700 year old misunderstanding.

This happens more often than most would suspect, Imo. Smile

~Theo
Jaime
i thought everybody already knew that the templars were burned because the king of France wanted their money?
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Governments want money from their people?? Confusedhock: :!:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yes, their money made them a prime target for the French king but no one knew what to make of the charges against them - bizarre, secret, and alleged heretical practices. Now the new book will explain what exactly these practices were as well as the symbolism behind them. The charges weren't simply concocted, they were based on something . But they were blown out of proportion to suit the king's ends.

The book may also shed new light on where the surviving Templars went with their amassed treasure. Some say they went to Scotland and fought for Robert Bruce. But what happened to their treasure ? The French king never found it.

~Theo
Jaime
Hard to believe. You'd think they'd just get jobs and earn their own money instead of taking ours. Tongue lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Imo, the book will most likely attract mainly people from scholarly circles.

I suspect the motivation for writing the book is partly to counter misconceptions and disinformation from books and movies like 'Da Vinci Code'. Many people see these movies and come out thinking they're now experts on the medieval Church. :roll: Sad.

The other reason for writing it is due to sheer good fortune in finding such a crucial, lost manuscript that absolves any guilt of the Templars' practicing supposed heresies.

~Theo
Jaime
I think reading books by professor Malcolm Barber will clarify things. In fact it is more or less all there in a scholarly form...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
If I would have been the French King, I´d clearly have told everyone that I didn´t find the treasure, of course... :roll: Big Grin
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.