Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek Helmet/ armour database
Wow Gioi. That's really nice, but don't you think that's a little much for such a database?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
And with the ability of being rotated?Even if not,it is an excellent model.With the knowledge of our members and with photos of the real thing this could be outstanding!
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Fantastic work Gioi, how did you do that Confusedhock: :?:
Kallimachos a.k.a. Kurt

Athina Itonia
[Image: smallsun1.gif]
[url=http://www.hetairoi.de:4a9q46ao][/url]
Thanks for showing that 3D bust, Gioi. I found the original thread on CGTalk:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/printthread ... &pp=50
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Well forgeting the ding dang mistunderstanding, this is how I would like to see the approaching of greek helmet reconstruction into 3d or aproximetly.

My soft go close to that or can do that, but I bet this is a time comsuming one for its details.

[Image: philip_bust_v05.jpg]

Errrr, more like that would be cool!! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
....guys, can we please stop getting distracted ( no matter how nice the pure fantasy images) :evil: and get back on track.....no word from Dan, and Ralph has apparently bailed out......as of now , progress is ZERO !!
We are back to square one.....we need an editorial team of three or four !
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
I just returned from a small journey and was very disappointed what happened in the meantime...
Ralph, because of his obviously deep knowledge of archaeological classification systems, would have been an extraordinary important part of the team, which still does not excist I fear (what about Dan?).
I'm still very interested in the project and recently think about the way the excisting typologies can be used to fill the necessary tab-fields in a practical way.
I will soon post how I imagine this and we can discuss it.

I don't want to push forward myself but I think we simply have to start the project and possibly a team of 3 or 4 will finally grow out of the members.

Greets,

Decebalus/Andreas Gagelmann
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Decebelus said:-
Quote:Ralph, because of his obviously deep knowledge of archaeological classification systems, would have been an extraordinary important part of the team, which still does not excist I fear (what about Dan?).
I have tried contacting Ralph privately, but no luck so far......Dan seems to have disappeared (vacation? Illness? )

Quote:I don't want to push forward myself but I think we simply have to start the project and possibly a team of 3 or 4 will finally grow out of the members

I heartily agree !! Smile D )

Gioi said:-

Quote:Do you meant:

1) just a videoclip showing the helmet in all drection... or

2) a format that allows u to play with the ittem free?

I see you have showcased your skills well ! Doubtless our project can make good use of them...consider yourself conscripted !! In a perfect world I would envisage several views of each original helmet, such as the one Gioi just posted on the 'Alexander Illustration' thread, and then maybe an animated reconstruction by someone such as yourself or our other talented people.....as per your sample.

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Apologies for my extended absence. I had to go home to be in a wedding, and have been trying to catch up on the work thereby missed... plus the weather has been pleasant for a change 8)

I do hope Ralph will not absent himself overlong; I must admit that I have rather more training in matters topographical than matters typological. The system that he outlined, however, was used as the basis for Bottini's typology of "Apulo-Corinthian" helmets; e.g. eyes are (open/closed), nasal (raised/not), cheek-guards (separate/bridged/conjoined). His Type A, then, has open eyes, nasal in relief, separate cheek-guards.

It would probably be good to do a limited test, perhaps of the so-called "Illyrian" type as Ralph suggested, in order to establish the comprehensibility of the criteria. It will however be possible to start cataloging helmets with whatever information is available; only thus can we tell which helmets we need more information for!

I suggest that for those helmets whose photography is not permitted, note-taking is a respectable alternative, and indeed I would recommend it in addition to photos, since these don't always capture the information to be had from seeing in person.

I like Ralph's initial suggestions for attributes: Material, skull shape, construction, nasal, neck guard, cheek piece... of course, the options he gives for each would have to be expanded or shoe-horned to fit, say, Apulo-Corinthians into the system (sorry to sound like a broken record croaking "Awk! Apulo-Corinthian! Awk! Apulo-Corinthian!"...).

I might suggest the addition of Incised Decoration (present/absent), and possibly Crest Evidence (present/absent) -- this is of interest, perhaps, because in the case of helmets made of perishable materials (leather or wicker or what-have-you), the metal crest fittings are the only remaining evidence of the helmet! If you think these are non-essential, say so, or suggest other, more useful attributes...

Another important question: what are our limits? Do we have strict chronological limits (will one of the 'Material' options be 'boar's tusk'...?), or geographical, or 'cultural'(!)? Do we include helmets of Montefortino-type, or exclude them because (maybe) they belong to a different 'tradition,' or arbitrarily because they're already in the Roman database? Include some if they fall within our chronological range? What about finds from Scythia? Thrace? Italy? Spain? (I think we have to include them all, but let me hear your dissent if you have it!)

What about Near Eastern helmets? Ralph mentioned an Assyrian helmet in an example. I am highly in favor of ignoring "cultural" distinctions since they can rarely be scientifically supported, but maybe geography or chronology is a factor here?

The location field has me thinking a bit. The grid system Ralph mentioned has its pros and its cons. On the one hand, I think that it may paint with strokes too broad for a world of city-states, as opposed to the big "blank canvas" of prehistory (no offense intended); on the other hand, regrettably many helmets have no provenience more specific than "(probably) South Italy," and a grid system would accommodate that more easily. For those with specific provenience, maybe something could be worked whereby "Athens" or "Olympia" or "Ruvo" were equated with their actual lat/long so they could be plotted on a dynamic map? Anybody handy with writing Google Earth apps?

These are more important questions at the moment than the format of the pictures, I think.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Here is a proposition how the the structure of the database could look like.
As the material is much more complex than in the Roman helmet section, it is necessary to add a system of numbers and letters to the name of the main-type to classify the subtypes. As we are confronted with different helmet-types, whose subtypes are treated in a different way (form of cheeckpieces, calotte, decoration etc.) this system cannot be used to show characteristics of the different main types, so it is needed to show somewere why the subdivisions have been made. It would make sense to add the system proposed by Ralph at a later date to have the ability to make comparisons of the whole material.
If all the subdivisions are really necessary is of course open to debate.

Boar-tusk-helmets

Bell-helmets (only the examples found in Greek contexts)

Cypriot helmets (of Tamassos type)

Cretan helmets
I - Insular type (Snodgrass type "Ba")
II - type with cheeckpieces (Snodgrass type "Ca")

Ionian helmets (only to cheek-pieces which could have belonged to this type)

Geometric ("Kegel-")helmets
I - made of five pieces
A - calotte pointed with high crest ("Argos" variant)
B - calotte pointed without crest ("Budapest" variant)
C - calotte hemispherical ("Ordona" variant)

II - made of one piece (only Guttmann AG 445)

Illyrian helmets
I - early stage of evolution
A - made of two pieces
B - made of one piece

II - middle stage of evolution
A - with edge-roll
B - without edge-roll

III- late stage of evolution
A - with side-wedges
1 - with rivet-edge
2 - with punched edge
3 - with undecorated edge (apart from engraving)

B - with ear-cutouts
1 - with rivet-edge
2 - with punched edge
3 - with undecorated edge

C - with hinged cheeckpieces

Corinthian helmets
I - early stage of evolution
A - made of one piece
1 - with smooth calotte
2 - with Illyrian crest

B - made of two pieces
1 - horizontal division
2 - vertical division

II - middle stage of evolution
A - with rounded side-cutouts
1 - with rounded calotte
2 - with markedly transition from side to skull
(the famous "Myros"-group with more than 80 pieces which could be further divided from their style of edge-decoration)

B - with side-wedges
1 - with rounded calotte
a - with smooth calotte
b - with Illyrian crest
c - with lotosflower-decoration
d - with connected cheekpieces ("Picenian" variant, not to be confused with Apulo-Corinthian)
2 - with markedly transition from side to skull
a - without eyebrows ("Greek" group)
b - with eyebrows ("Italic" group)

III - late stage of evolution
A - with gable-formed brow
1 - sides and skull meeting on same level ("Lamia"-group)
2 - skull overlapping sides ("Hermione"-group)
3 - decorated Italic group

B - with wedge-formed brow
1 - decorated Italic group
2 - with connected cheekpieces ("Picenian" group)

Corinthian-Chalcidian helmets (Corinthians with ear-cutouts and helmets which show characteristics of both types like the one Gioi showed us in his last post)

The letters and numbers in bold would be parts of the helmet-name in the main-tab. A Corinthian helmet of the middle stage of evolution with side-wedges and rounded skull with Illyrian crest would have the name
Corinthian-II1b-x(number in sequence).
The main-tab should comprise the fields for findplace and whereabout wit further tabs like in the Roman database.

This is my proposition for now. I can give a classification for the other helmet types soon if wished.

Greets,

Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Just saw that Dan is back Big Grin and wrote in the same time

Quote:It will however be possible to start cataloging helmets with whatever information is available; only thus can we tell which helmets we need more information for!

There I absolutely agree. There are useful typologies for some types (Illyrian, Chalcidian) and an overview at least of the material we could be confronted with (for the Corinthians for example I just put the Informations given by Kukahn, Kunze and Pflug in tabellar form which contains all mentioned variants and some examples for them - and it works until now)

Quote:I suggest that for those helmets whose photography is not permitted, note-taking is a respectable alternative, and indeed I would recommend it in addition to photos, since these don't always capture the information to be had from seeing in person.
I might suggest the addition of Incised Decoration (present/absent), and possibly Crest Evidence (present/absent) -- this is of interest, perhaps, because in the case of helmets made of perishable materials (leather or wicker or what-have-you), the metal crest fittings are the only remaining evidence of the helmet! If you think these are non-essential, say so, or suggest other, more useful attributes...

We could collect all observations which are not self-evident through the photos in the "remarks"-field

Quote:Another important question: what are our limits? Do we have strict chronological limits (will one of the 'Material' options be 'boar's tusk'...?), or geographical, or 'cultural'(!)? Do we include helmets of Montefortino-type, or exclude them because (maybe) they belong to a different 'tradition,' or arbitrarily because they're already in the Roman database? Include some if they fall within our chronological range? What about finds from Scythia? Thrace? Italy? Spain? (I think we have to include them all, but let me hear your dissent if you have it!)

What about Near Eastern helmets? Ralph mentioned an Assyrian helmet in an example. I am highly in favor of ignoring "cultural" distinctions since they can rarely be scientifically supported, but maybe geography or chronology is a factor here?

In my opinion the database could of course be extended to the types which are either ancestors or descendants of the "Greek" types. There are so many interesting connections of different cultures in their helmet-traditions that such a database would give the opportunity to do further research in this direction (Ralph's system would be of great help here).
Perhaps someday we have the corpus cassidum antiquorum which I have in my mind for years Smile

Greets,

Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Quote:Perhaps someday we have the corpus cassidum antiquorum which I have in my mind for years
But that means simply restructuring the Roman helmet database... Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Here's the second part of my proposition for a classification of the Greek helmet-types:

Chalcidian helmets
I - with rigid cheekpieces
A - with cheekpieces of rounded form

B - with cheekpieces of siecle-form
1 - Greek group
2 - Italic group
3 - Macedonian group
4 - Thracian group

C - with cheekpieces in ram's head-form

D - with pointed cheekpieces

II - with hinged cheekpieces
A - with cheekpieces in spade-form

B - with cheekpieces of siecle-form

C - with cheekpieces in ram's head or griffin-form

D - with pointed cheekpieces

E - with curved cheekpieces

III- Italo-Chalcidian helmets
A - with straight brow

B - with curved/pointed brow

C - with curved/pointed brow and eyebrows

D - with temple-volutes

E - with temple-volutes and skull-rib

F - Phrygian-Chalkidian group "Conversano" ("Griffin-helmets")

IV- Ibero-Chalcidian helmets

Pilos-helmets
I - "Greek" group

II - "Italic" group

III- Attic-Boiotian form

Boiotian helmets
I - early form (Petasos-form)

II - main form (the helmet from the Tigris in Oxford)

III- late Attic-Boiotian form

Attic-Phrygian "Prototype"
I - (supposed) Attic prototype (Berlin L 40)

II - (supposed) Phrygian prototype (London GR 1927.10-11.1)

III- cheekpieces which can be connected with early forms of Attic or Phrygian helmets (like I and II)

A - cheekpieces with mouth-cutouts

B - cheekpieces with mouth-cutouts and stylised beard

Phrygian helmets
I - main group

A - calotte made of more than one piece

B - calotte made of one piece

II - Phrygian-Boitian form

III- Phrygian-Chalcidian form

Attic helmets
I - Attic helmets with peak
A - calotte made of more than one part

B - calotte made of one part

C - Attic-Boiotian form

II - Attic helmets without peak

Hellenistic helmets (this would contain all the parts of helmets which have been found in Hellenistic context or bear Hellenistic decoration but cannot be connected to known types)
I - cheekpieces

II - fragments

Some of the subtypes will raise questions (for example the "ethnic" groups in the section for the Chalcidian helmets with cheekpieces in siecle-form). Here's not the place to explain all divisions in-depth, but I would try and show pictures of a typical example to show what is meant.
This is of course not the only way how the material can be classified, but it follows the widely accepted works done until now with some additions here and there.
The system cannot show any chronological or regional evolution, but something like this has to be used to get an overview of the material which can let to further knowledge regarding these questions.
A classification-system cannot be perfect, because different types are treated in different ways (form of cheekpieces, decoration etc.). It has to be flexible enough to put in new finds without reworking the whole classification.
The type-names can be open to debate, but as most members interested in this field will be familiar with, we should use them.
There are many fragmentary finds which cannot be classified to their sub-types, but we can - for example - name a Chalcidian with missing hinged cheekpieces as Chalcidian-II-x(number in sequence).
Of all the listed types there exists at least one example. It could be misleading to put helmet-types in which are only known from representations in ancient art. It is perhaps the main fault of the work of Dintsis in his "Hellenistische Helme" that he mainly relied on works of art to classify the material. It is too dangerous to judge from works of art if it is a representation of an existing helmet-type we just have no original found or artistic license. Works of art can be helpful - if we have originals - to show with which types of armour they could be have worn, how a crest or missing cheekpieces would look like etc. So it would make sense to have an accompanying database of these interpretations when the "real stuff" is settled.

I would be thankful for questions and critics.

Greets,

Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
All the above sounds good - perhaps Dan and Andreas could liaise together and with Jasper and set up a location to start tipping photos into?
( I think Ralph will be too busy for a while)

As a test batch, I suggest Corinthians ( you should get a few photos/drawings? etc of those contributed) and once these are 'tipped in', you'll have an initial set of data for test purposes.......

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Hello? Dan , Andreas?

Any progress to report? Have you at least liaised with each other and Jasper?........nearly two weeks since anything happened.... Sad

Paul McDonnell-Staff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Greek linen armour - what did it look like? Draugr the Greedy 4 1,883 12-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Feinman
  Great picture Greek armour etc on 5th C terracotta sitalkes 3 2,643 04-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale
  A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour h.k.linderot 8 4,838 11-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Dan Howard