Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek Helmet/ armour database
....absolutely !
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Is this project/thread still alive?

I've got a pile of helmet photos of the Chalcidian (that's what they call it) helmet in the Walters Gallery. It's scarcely "unknown" but not widely illustrated and the Walters is kind enough to have a "take all the photos you want" policy.

I also have pics of there Corinthian and their Iberian helmets--all perfectly legal, and I could go back and get better ones on another research trip--if you folks don't already have plenty of images.

Here's a nice sample, though.

[Image: n681611203_1467604_2693.jpg]

The Walters date is 500 BC. The provenance is not very helpful but a friend tells me (sigh, this is not good scholarship) that it's from a Russian dig of a Scythian burial.
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
A question for andreas (or anyone else that knows.) :?
I am interested in the goat cheek plated helmets (widderkoppf in german?).
From your knowledge
were there more found/ depicted with ear cut outs (as in attic style)
or without (similar to corinthian)
and which style do you think looks better?
looking forward to your answers and opinions
regards
richard
Hello Richard!

There are ten Chalkidian helmets known to me which have cheekpieces in the form of ram's/goats heads.
Six are from Olympia (Olympia-Mus. inv. nos. B 2798, B 4341, B 4446, B 4914, B 5906, B 6523), the others from Lokri (Neapel, Mus. Naz. inv. 5737), Metapont (St. Louis, City Art Mus. Acc. 282.49), Ruvo (London, British Mus. inv. 2830) and without findspot (Hermann-Historica, Auktion 48 lot 3046).
Another example in Paris (Louvre inv. 1128) is a pasticcio of different types putted together in modern times).
Apart from depictions in art (mostly vasepaintings and the famous so-called bust of Leonidas from Sparta) I know only one Corinthian with ram's head cheekpieces (from Olympia, Mus. inv. B 5239), but even it has no ear-cutouts it should also rather be classified as a Corinthian-Chalkidian mix-type (like the "Corinthians" with ear-cutouts and others which show clear influences of the Chalkidian type).

Greets,

Andreas
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Thankyou gentlemen for your (excellent)informative replies. The goat cheek pieces on the different photoes I have collected
on the net are all inspirational. I look forward to seeing them appear when the datbase is finally established.
I will use the acknowledged corinthian/chaldicean bust of the the so-called Leonidas as the model for forming the shape of my new helmet (though the goats are a conglomerate-or simplification- of other photos).
The reason being that i am an asymetrical person and I find it difficult to cut out the ear shapes to a degree that would satisfy.
warm regards
richard
Does anybody know the provenance of this piece. I believe it is in the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. [url:25003hic]http://www.flickr.com/photos/theodosius/3356416318/[/url]
Peter Raftos
Thats a very cool Helm Peter ..cant wait for this thread to take off .
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
I seem to like these Corinthians with longer cheeckpieces for additional protection as you can see in this picture:

http://www.legion-fourteen.com/leonidas2.gif
"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." -Thermopylae

Peter
Very cheeky of you.
Peter Raftos
Cheeky indeed, they would look great with black/white block motives with red horse hair to the shoulders and with rams on the cheeck pieces. :mrgreen:
"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." -Thermopylae

Peter
There were corinthians with long cheek pieces,but not really that much. It may even prevent you from turning your head right and left. Actually i think i have heard this problem from a reenactor,but this wasn't really a problem in the originals.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
While it lasts there is an ex -Axel Gutman collection Chalcidian at the Royal Athena Galleries:
[url:39cwlbpr]http://www.royalathena.com/pages/GreekCatalog/Bronze/Armor/HMQ48.html[/url]
A 2nd half of the 7th Century BC Corinthian Type II [url:39cwlbpr]http://www.royalathena.com/pages/GreekCatalog/Bronze/Armor/IN0801.html[/url]
And some other lovely stuff.[url:39cwlbpr]http://www.royalathena.com/pages/GreekCatalog/GreekBronze.html[/url]
Peter Raftos
Thanks very much. I re-posted the muscalata to Cezary., who's building one.

great items. Wow, I'd like to have a few hundred thousand euros right now!
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
These are amazing quality, Wish I was the lottery winner today, quite a few item I would like there! :o
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hi ALL Ive had a Pilos reconstructed ,4 cent. BCE Hellenic .the originals at edited by moderator due to violation of forum rule #4.[attachment=1:39dkbfa6]<!-- ia1 95750_d[2].jpg<!-- ia1 [/attachment:39dkbfa6][attachment=0:39dkbfa6]<!-- ia0 pilos.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:39dkbfa6]
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Greek linen armour - what did it look like? Draugr the Greedy 4 1,899 12-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Feinman
  Great picture Greek armour etc on 5th C terracotta sitalkes 3 2,673 04-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale
  A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour h.k.linderot 8 4,869 11-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Dan Howard