Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peltast Impression
Pilos helmet with cheek pieces appears on a 2nd century B.C. macedoninan coin that has gorgonio in one side and the helmet on the other.
Source: Treso Numismatique at de Glyptotheque Paris 1858 Didiere & Cie on page 29. It is referenced as AE Mionett, No 564.

Personally though I lean on the late Hellenistic or even roman helemet for Rome's allied contignents but the pilos is not ahistorical as it seems.

Kind regards
This one is surely not from the time of Sulla, but I like the painting.
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
Yes, I like that painting too! There are several good depictions in the Osprey books of scythians!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Caesar said:-
Quote:Yes, I like that painting too! There are several good depictions in the Osprey books of scythians!

.....slight freudian slip there Byron? :wink: The picture shows Greek Hoplite ekdromoi (runners out) pursuing Thracian peltasts....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff