Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Research Help! Frisian Rebellion, 28 A.D.
Greetings!

Whilst finishing up the proof-reading of my second book, "Soldier of Rome: The Sacrovir Revolt," I am looking for research material for my third book.

The third Soldier of Rome book chronicles the Frisian rebellion of 28 A.D. Unfortunately, I have had very little success in finding research material to help me keep my facts straight. There is a chapter in Tacitus that talks about this incident, specifically the Siege of Flevum; however I have not been able to find anything else.

I have the basic outline done for my third book, but I am lacking details about the Frisians themselves. All I know is the basic circumstances surrounding the rebellion, and that Frisia is roughly located in what is now Holland (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong on this one!). If anyone has any useful information or sources about the Frisian people and the events of 28 A.D., please let me know. Thanks!

James
Titus Artorius Justus
aka: James M. Mace
Author of:
"Soldier of Rome: The Legionary"
"Soldier of Rome: The Sacrovir Revolt"
"Soldier of Rome: Heir to Rebellion"

http://www.legionarybooks.net
[email protected]
Quote:All I know is the basic circumstances surrounding the rebellion, and that Frisia is roughly located in what is now Holland (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong on this one!).
Yes, wrong... :wink: The Frisians Tacitus is speaking about, did not live in what is now called Frisia, but in what is now called Noord-Holland. Flevum can -with considerable certainty- be identified with a fort near modern Velsen, west of Amsterdam. Have you read this?

If you need more info, drop me a p.m., and I will forward it to Arjen Bosman, who excavated Velsen, is a professor at Gent University, and also a very kind man who likes to help.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battlefield Britain: Boudican Rebellion Anonymous 3 1,192 09-25-2004, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat