Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centurial Signs and the battle order of the legiones
I did not found this in this forum - but I think it is of very high importance for the understanding of the legions and is worth beeing known and discussed - it partly fits (and contradicts) the thread "Vegetius legion description" http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=11146

Centurial signs were the symbols that mark the rank and place of centuriae and centurions. They first were found in 1983 - their sequence and meaning being unclear. Michael Speidel in a paper from 2005 is sure to be able to establish their sequence, "which offers a new tool for understanding the legion's structure and deployment" (Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik ZPE 154, p. 286-292)

He analyzes centurial signs from inscriptions in Mainz, Germany and Lambaesis in Numidia which should show the same sequence, which therefore , as Speidel thinks "will have been the same for all imperial legions".
The signs seem to be arranged in the order pili-principes-hastati.
Speidel tries to find an arrangement of the six signs, which fits the known deployment of a cohort. He concludes: "Scholars have said that we know nothing about the cohorts deployment in the first three centuries of our era" (e.g. Goldsworthy, Roman Army at War, 1996, 181; Wheeler 2004 ...) ... but Speidel states: "The three battle lines of hastati, principes, and pili may therefore have survived as a deployment possibility of the imperial legion."
So Speidel thinks the legions were still organized in maniples in the imperial era and may have had tactical importance. He cites a building inscription on Hadrian's Wall and one from Apamea, mid 3rd century. The last mentions legionary phalangarii, lancearii and sagittarii. "These ranks must have been linked to battle positions, perhaps tied to battle lines so that front-line phalangarii served mostly among the hastati, bowmen among the principes and pili."
A further source for the importance of the battle lines during the empire should be Hadrian's critique of the maneuvers at Lambaesis in AD 128. He addressed pili, principes and hastati separately, "probably because they had done separate maneuvers and certainly because they still existed as traditional parts of the legion."
Speidel even extends in some way this continued formation into the late era: "During the later third century, when the legions shrank from 6000 to 1000 men, centuriae and maniples vanished and cohorts of centuria-like size took over their role ... The new, small cohorts too seem to have formed battle lines, such as cohorts 1-5 in front and 6-10 in the rear" referring to Vegetius 2.6 and 2.15. The pili should later sometimes be called triarii (meaning the reserves).

Speidel explicitly thinks of a legion as capable of functioning as a phalanx as using the three battle lines.

So - what does anybody think of Speidel's thesis?
Jens Wucherpfennig
I think for the phalangarii is better the hypotesis of a honorific title linked to "macedonian phalanx" of Caracalla or Al.Severus. If I remember the inscription what Speidel refers has not been published? It is difficult think to some solution without know the text.

You are sure about Lambaesis inscription? I don't remember references to hastati, principes and pilani; i have found only in corrupted part a reference to pilos and to an "hastatus".

About the centurial sign the situation is more complex and not so linear (see J.C Mann in ROMAN LEGIONARY CENTURIAL SYMBOLS).

Think to a tactical surviving of old manipular subdivision in imperial era just to late empire is hard, basing over Ammianus terminology, when the Syrian author is known for his use of archaic terms (he writes not for roman impeiral officials but for rome aristocracy, and these love the read old style words (antepilani in Ammianus is taken directly by Livy), and on the base of Vegetius, when this takes triarii battle line description again directly by Livy, paste them to a duplex acies late republican or imperial legion (probably by Frontinus work).

I remember that a triarius ordo exist at the start of empire, but he command the veterans (see Le Bohec)
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
Quote:So Speidel thinks the legions were still organized in maniples in the imperial era and may have had tactical importance. He cites a building inscription on Hadrian's Wall ...
Well, as far as I can see, RIB 2032 (the one Speidel cites) simply records:
COH | IIII | ASTA
The editors suggested that this could be expanded to:
coh(ortis) IIII (centuria h)asta(ti), "from the fourth cohort, the century of the hastatus (prior) (built this)".

I'm not sure this really constitutes proof that the legions were still organised in maniples.

I notice that he avoids RIB 2001, which reads:
COH IIII | [...] TA POS | [...] CIANA
The editors suggested that this could be expanded to:
coh(ortis) IIII | [has]ta(ti) pos(terioris) | [c(enturia) ? Mar]ciana, "from the fourth cohort, the Marcian (?) century of the hastatus posterior (built this)".

Similarly, RIB 2023 (now lost) apparently read:
COH IIII PR POS | > IVL VITALIS
The editors expanded this as:
coh(ortis) IIII pr(incipis) pos(terioris) | c(enturia) Iul(i) Vitalis, "from the fourth cohort, the century of Julius Vitalis, princeps posterior, (built this)".
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:About the centurial sign the situation is more complex and not so linear (see J.C Mann in ROMAN LEGIONARY CENTURIAL SYMBOLS).
Download Mann's article as a PDF HERE.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Army Order of Battle Lochinvar 3 2,705 01-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Lochinvar
  Auxiliary Infantry ORBAT (Order of Battle) Gaius Titus 4 2,868 11-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Peroni
  Battle order L C Cinna 26 5,541 08-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale