Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making Pteruges (or at least trying to make Pteruges!)
Martin,

I have made myself pteryges out of layered linen. I have three rows both on the legs and on the arms.

They do hang down as you see them in sculpture (more or less) and they are not as stiff as you might think. When overlayed as they are, they would be quite defensive.

Also I agree that something flexible is very good at absorbing impact or slashing. There was a thread that I posted on my reconstruction. I do not recall where it is here on RAT.

When you look at some of these statues, you see the pteryges being quite flexible and some may ask how can this be with glued linen strips. Glued strips would make them stiff and would not hang. Thus they must me something else.

This of course is because the linothorax was made of glued layers of linen.

However, (I do not have evidence for this only my experience with my reconstruction) if one considers sewing all the layers together, what happens is that A) When they get wet, they won't fall apart as do many when using glue (I have experienced this), B )they are not that stiff they have flexibilty to them that allows them to hang down.

If you see the sculptures you will notice that some of them look bulky and rounded at times with creases in them in a similar fashion to thick cloth garments.

My picture is too large to put directly here but if you look for the thread you will see my reconstruction.

I know many people have this idea about glued layers. But it has been my experience that glueing several layers of linen will not make them hang down. The only way I see it is sewn layers. Make no mistake three rows of 1/4 inch thick each pteryges is adequate protection for a slash. Linen fiber is quite fibrous, even when cutting with a scissor it was not that easy.

The fringes at the end came directly form the frayed ends of the linen

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Late response... - by Tribune Valerius - 11-29-2007, 07:50 AM
Re: Late response... - by Tarbicus - 11-29-2007, 08:45 AM
pteruges - by MartinWard - 12-06-2007, 06:12 PM
pteruges - by MartinWard - 01-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Re: pteruges - by Tarbicus - 01-16-2008, 10:50 AM
pteruges - by MartinWard - 01-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Re: pteruges - by Magnus - 01-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Re: Making Pteruges (or at least trying to make Pteruges!) - by Doc - 01-18-2008, 06:17 AM
Re: my method for sleeve pteruges - by muskitear - 01-21-2008, 08:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,582 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Friendship-bracelets as pteruges Zarathustra 5 564 09-13-2021, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Do-Da\'s on Tongue Pteruges Vitruvius 14 3,038 06-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Vitruvius