Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making Pteruges (or at least trying to make Pteruges!)
Ave Valerius,

Laudes for that impression... very well done!

I do see a difference in how you have the shoulder Pteruges (aside from leather vs. linen/felt) in that mine are sewn separately, with each individual Pteruge attached to my subs, and that is where they twist and split. I think if instead I sewed all the Pteruges together, with one long stitch across the top, they would hang better… it would be as if they were one piece as opposed to multiple separate Pteruges.

I’m going to try to sew them together across the top, near the high point of the shoulder, and see if they keep their shape better… that might work.

You also have yours longer in the center and shorter at the sides… which is what I also had to do so that they would hang evenly when worn.

John said:
Quote:...it should probably be naturally pressed felt as opposed to modern felt.

I totally agree however; there is some level of compromise throughout my entire impression, I used power tools to make my helmet, I cast my appliqués with brass powder & and a bonding agent as opposed to pouring in molten gold, I used a sewing machine to sew my Pteruges (I’ve made 76 of them so far!) etc.

I honestly try to keep all my compromises to a minimum or eliminate them as best I can but some things, such as using a sewing machine for the Pteruges, are necessary as I cannot spend a year making them by hand. As it is, even with the sewing machine, it’s taking me two weeks working on and off to make 76 Pteruges.

Pteruges must have cost a fortune back in the day to make by hand. I’m still going with my logic of Pteruges being a status symbol or symbol of class. If you could afford to have them made you were of an upper class and had money… and if you could afford three layers or four layers of them well… you were really showing off!

I think that’s why we always see Emperors with layers and layers of Pteruges.
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Just thought I'd mention it, because the ancient felt is becoming available and there is a marked diffence between the two in terms of defensive properties. Sort of like the difference between butted mail and riveted mail.
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
Scott posted this link in Marketplace recently.

http://www.winghamwoolwork.co.uk/

A good source of traditional felts and material to make your own felting.
I'm a bit unfamiliar with the terminology - do I need needlefelt for my subarmalis?

I'm dissatisfied with the modern pressed felt that I bought 2 years ago (although I'll probably use that for my ocrae and pteruges) and I started to look at wool rolls...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
You would need the felt that is pressed in the old way.
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
Salvete,

Nice stuff, Valerius.

I have a question about this:

Quote:So I cut apart the individual pteruges of the second fan, and glued them in seprately to fill the gaps of the first fan.

I made shoulder pteryges in two overlapping fanlike layers. They don't exactly fall like I would want the to fall. I might try your method to improve this... Were did you glue them onto the fan? Only at the top? Or over the entire length?

Valete,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I had a very difficult time getting the Pteruges to hang correctly, they would split at the shoulder and twist. They were each sewn to my Subarmails individually.

[Image: aIMG_7461.jpg]

I tried pinning them temporarily to see if having them together at the top of the shoulder would make them hang better...

[Image: aIMG_7459.jpg]

and it did.

[Image: aIMG_7462.jpg]

The next step is to remove the safety pins, sew them together (but much tighter together than the safety pins are), and start adding the second and third layers of Pteruges.

Due note, since I have far more of the peril linen than the red, I made the first layer all peril... I'll be alternating the colors as I add the other layers
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

Seems like sewing them to a piece of cloth tape at the top edge would do as well, wouldn't it? Just an afterthought.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
By all means sew them together. That's the look you want. Very nice!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:Seems like sewing them to a piece of cloth tape at the top edge would do as well, wouldn't it?

Yes, that would work as well... it seems they really need to be attached togther (in any way) along the top so that they hang correctly.
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

What is the basic time frame here? I am only assuming the pteruges are more for Officer types??
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Quote:What is the basic time frame here? I am only assuming the pteruges are more for Officer types??

Ave,

My time frame is very late Republic to very early Empire, approximately 60BC to 10AD.

As for Pteruges being more for “officer typesâ€
Vale!

aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

Quote:I made shoulder pteryges in two overlapping fanlike layers. They don't exactly fall like I would want the to fall.

I use three leather fan patterns for each shoulder and they fall like so :

Photo 1
Photo 2
And Photo 3

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:What is the basic time frame here? I am only assuming the pteruges are more for Officer types??

No, they certainly aren't only for officers. A lot of art shows regular soldiers, even auxiliaries with pteryges. You can look at the Adamklisi metopes (considered one of the most accurate depictions of Roman military equipment in art).

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Besides art and sculpture, have any been found?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,468 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Friendship-bracelets as pteruges Zarathustra 5 501 09-13-2021, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Do-Da\'s on Tongue Pteruges Vitruvius 14 2,984 06-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Vitruvius