Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making Pteruges (or at least trying to make Pteruges!)
Quote:oh, by the way, I never said that the doncaster shield _was_ Roman. Here's my post:

Quote:More likely Roman though, eh ?
Boss with four equally spaced rivets are not always roman in origin, but they are the usually found in roman contexts (not Iron age ones). There are also the rivet sizes. Of course, it was also pulled out of a Roman fort, beneath the Antonine defences.

Actually, you did:

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 294#178294
Quote:
Tarbicus:13fp8n5g Wrote:Felt, lnen/textile, and parchment/rawhide have been cited as Roman shield layers, but no mention of your usual run-of-the-mill leather, AFAIK. Anyone know of any, perhaps from Illerup? Christian?

Roman:
First century shield from doncaster, Buckland, britannia 1978

Dura europos, waterer, leather and the warrior, 1981 (not sure of original report here)...

...we need more ?
Hence a lot of my comments about you presenting something as being Roman, when it's clearly not thought to be so, only maybe so.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Well, This has certainly been a lively thread. Plenty of patterns, pictures ideas and food for thought.
With regard to the subermalis bodice, I found a place a couple of years back where I can get 'American' drop sheet at £10 pr 3mtr X 3mtr sheets. It resembles a light canvas. I have made all sorts of things from it, Even an ,A. frame ACW tent. Its ideal for the subermalis, Its light and comfortable in the warmer weather. I may use this as a 'sandwhich' stiffener when making the ptruges.

Keep smiling..They wont know what yer thinking... Big Grin
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Dying aint much of a living.
Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Salve,
at the moment, my wife is sewing a Subarmillis for me, with Pteryges at the sleeves and around the hip. This Subarmillis is completely from linen, filled with felt. I think leather is a good choice, but goes stiff if you start to sweat. And it`s heavier than a all-linen Subarmillis (although my Subarmillis is not really light!). I think each natural material is okay, it`s only your choice Big Grin
Marcus Iulius Chattus

Me that ave been what i´ve been-
Me that ave gone where i´ve gone-
Me that ave seen what i´ve seen-
...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
Salve Marcus

After a disasterous start i am with you on your post, either is suitable i must think before i speak lol

Centurio IX Hips ( vicus )
martin ward
vicuscenturion

carpe diem[/quote]
i must learn to spell as well, not IX hips, but IX Hisp
martin ward
vicuscenturion

carpe diem[/quote]
I made mine from layered linen with a canvas type linen outer layer.
Fairly sturdy and absorbs impacts and cushions against chaffing.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
My Centurion wears a linen subarmillis, too.
It`s so much work to make one from leather (especially you have only nine fingers, like me!) that i choose one from linen. My wife adds some double layers of felt to the shoulders as padding, because my Auxillary-Hamata weigths nearly 22pounds! And although my subarmillis is not finished yet, it looks really good together with my hamata Big Grin
Marcus Iulius Chattus

...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
Quote:My Centurion wears a linen subarmillis, too.

Here's a nice photo.. That must be you in the background with the black and white crest Marcus(?)
http://www.vindeliker-kohorte.de/Verans ... ntel/6.jpg
Quote:

Here's a nice photo.. That must be you in the background with the black and white crest Marcus(?)

Great centurio impression!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Hey Adrian, is there another picture of your centurion that shows his greaves fully?

Legion: TBD
@ Adrian.
Yeah, that`s me with the black and white Deepeeka-Crest (with my new Carnuntum-I, i want to wear a white Horsetail!)
My Centurio, his name is Markus, too, have another one in red linen that look better than the white, i think. Because our shields and tunics (and my subarmillis,too) are blue, our group is called inofficial "the smurfs" (die Schlümpfe) Big Grin
Marcus Iulius Chattus

...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
Quote:

I am very interested in that casual spike the guy with no helmet is wearing Big Grin
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

@ Mike.
What do you mean with "casual spike"? His Hasta? Sorry, my english is not really perfect b :oops:
Marcus Iulius Chattus

...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
Quote:@ Mike.
What do you mean with "casual spike"? His Hasta? Sorry, my english is not really perfect b :oops:
No its on top of his head lol
Mike Carroll.
LEGIIAVG

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,470 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Friendship-bracelets as pteruges Zarathustra 5 502 09-13-2021, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Do-Da\'s on Tongue Pteruges Vitruvius 14 2,984 06-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Vitruvius