Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vin Diesel\'s Hannibal Movie- Oh Dear God!
As you may have seen my other post, for some reason I have recently been interested in Carthage and it's army and society, which led me to look up the rumors about Vin Diesels supposed "epic" biography on Hannibal and the Punic wars. I heard that he was doing intense research on the subject and that it had become his personal "passion" and that the movie will be in ancient phoenician (or whatever the Carthaginians spoke) and Latin. So that gave me some hope that it could turn out to be an actually decent and accurate movie and not another gladiator or last legion, but that was all thrown by the wayside when I recently saw this picture, supposedly from the set of the movie, that shoes vin diesel in lorica musculata but in sad typical gladiator fashion with lorica segmentata SHOULDERS! If he actually did his research he would've discovered it wasn't invented for another few hundred years, but that's artistic liscence for ya. What's your thoughts?
Dennis Flynn
oh dear, looks like the leather segmentata group strikes again...

But then again - do you expect something other then an action movie from vin diesel?
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Honestly, I thought at first it would be a historical XXX, but when I heard he was deeply looking into the subject and that it was his "personal passion" I actually half-heartedly expected to see something with some historical weight behind it, but that went away with the picture lol. I did hear it was supposed to be in subtitles with the actors speaking in the historical languages, but judging from what I've seen I doubt it, we shall see.
Dennis Flynn
According to the IMDB listing the film's based on the Ross Leckie novel which I really enjoyed. I'm hoping the costumes are only to help Vin Diesel get into character for rehearsals while the costume design is still in its early stages (I emphasise 'hope'), and might just be off the shelf. Supposedly the dialogue will be in Greek, Latin and Punic, and it looks like they're still scouting locations. As an artist friend once said, "Only fools and children judge work half finished." :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
A beardless, shaven-headed Punic is a bit of a stretch, but maybe he's just relaxing between takes. One can always hope.
Pecunia non olet
sounds interesting lets wait and see :wink:
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go Bua
Yeah, let's wait and see. As long as the Romans eventually win, it's historically accurate enough, right?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Yeah, let's wait and see. As long as the Romans eventually win, it's historically accurate enough, right?

lol 8)

Well, I read somewhere that originally, Vin Diesel wanted to make the film as historically accurate as possible, only to be told that it would blow his budget by some $160 Million. Rumours say his current budget is within 110-170 mil, so thats still not bad.

As said elsewhere, lets wait and see.
Quote:
M. Demetrius:1uzycs88 Wrote:Yeah, let's wait and see. As long as the Romans eventually win, it's historically accurate enough, right?

lol 8)

Well, I read somewhere that originally, Vin Diesel wanted to make the film as historically accurate as possible, only to be told that it would blow his budget by some $160 Million. Rumours say his current budget is within 110-170 mil, so thats still not bad.

As said elsewhere, lets wait and see.
How would making it historically acurate blow his budget? As long as we don't have to sit through another "Troy" (I felt like I had lost a few IQ points after that one!), I'll be good.

I actually like Vin Diesel, though I did laugh when he mentioned wanting to play Conan. Sorry, but unless he's willing to gain about 30 pounds. . .
Titus Artorius Justus
aka: James M. Mace
Author of:
"Soldier of Rome: The Legionary"
"Soldier of Rome: The Sacrovir Revolt"
"Soldier of Rome: Heir to Rebellion"

http://www.legionarybooks.net
[email protected]
Quote:Well, I read somewhere that originally, Vin Diesel wanted to make the film as historically accurate as possible, only to be told that it would blow his budget by some $160 Million.

Yes, he can't even afford a pocket calculator it seems. From the Hannibal website, on the outcome of Cannae:

The Romans have 55,000 men, 8-9,000 light infantry and 6,000 cavalry [...]. 50-60,000 Romans die, 20,000 are captured and 16,000 escape.

So they loose 86-96000 of their 70000 men. Pretty heavy losses ;-) )
Quote:How would making it historically acurate blow his budget?
Well, if he would have had to train 300 elephants, that would have cost him a buck or 2.. million. :wink:

Also, actually killing thousands of actors when shooting the battle of Cannae would have been a bit costly. But VERY historicallly accurate!! :lol:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I bet they're are going to borrow the armour from one of the previous productions about Romans. :?
--- Marcus F. ---
Quote:So they loose 86-96000 of their 70000 men. Pretty heavy losses
Maybe the Carthagenians just hired some out-of-work movie extras. There may have been quite a few, because movies weren't invented for a couple of millennia after the batlle, eh? :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
your talking about an old 1950s style movie with loads of exters nice :twisted:
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go Bua