Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help needed with a roman cloak or "sagum"....
I have one and am working on two more. Neither would seem capable of the draping effects seen on Mainz steles. It would take a lightweight wool of the quality found in modern suits. But did the Romans have this?
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
Quote:Don't know. I have 2 sagums, both probably too small (3m x c. 1.5m) and definately not from heavy wool.

Robert, I suppose that the wool of your brown sagum in your impression is folded over (two layers)?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:r5rgsslb Wrote:Don't know. I have 2 sagums, both probably too small (3m x c. 1.5m) and definately not from heavy wool.
Robert, I suppose that the wool of your brown sagum in your impression is folded over (two layers)?

No it isn't Jyrki, and that's why it's not accurate. Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I have 2 sagums, both probably too small (3m x c. 1.5m) and definately not from heavy wool.

What makes you think they are too small - they seem larger than what Graham posted for measurements above.
Well the only certain size we have for military cloaks is the one given in the papyrus document BGU 1564 dating to the mid second century AD. This gives a size for military cloaks as 2.66m long x 1.77m wide. Blankets for the military hospital were the same size. The cloaks were of wool and should weigh 1.6kg, so get your scales out chaps!

There are other types of cloaks which were different sizes at different periods. Also presumably not all the cloaks that have been found are military or belonged to adults. Sadly another case of we want answers to questions that are not answered yet!
Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
So a standard (in the US, anyway) 72" x 90" 1.8m x 2.2m would or wouldn't be fairly accurate? I guess you'd fold it to 72 x 45?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:1mot16qd Wrote:I have 2 sagums, both probably too small (3m x c. 1.5m) and definately not from heavy wool.
What makes you think they are too small - they seem larger than what Graham posted for measurements above.
Because I assumed that they should have been folded over?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paenula / Sagum help needed Jedo 1 1,258 09-09-2012, 06:16 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  How to wear a roman cloak? Virilis 16 8,139 04-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Magnus
  New late Roman Coptic cloak pictures Cheyenne 3 2,642 05-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Statius