Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gallienus
Salvete!

I'm working on a paper on Gallienus (one of my favs) at the moment. I have all the books and articles I could find here so far but I wanted to ask if someone could help me a little bit maybe? So if anyone has any references I'd be very very grateful.

Or maybe you just want to discuss some things about Gallienus in this thread so just go on and I'd be happy to participate. maybe the reforms of the army or anything? I'm not searching for ideas, i have enough on my own but i thought maybe it would be nice just to discuss some things or bring up the topic.
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Hello,

I cannot offer anything original for you to look up, but I am interested to follow this thread. I think Gallienus is one of the unsung heroes of the Roman Empire!

Theo Raykoske
Gallienus is indeed one of the most interesting emperors. He is in the focus of the worst crisis of the 3rd century - and manages to stay emperor for an unusually long time. What fascinates me especially is his choice of two sons as caesars - electing coemperors (if only by name) following Marcus Aurelius and his father Valerian. Gallienus failed with this completely - both sons were murdered by generals. The question arises: what was different to more successful caesar boys: like the ones of Theodosius or of Valentinian?
Also his creation of some sort of central field army rises questions: if the real problem of the empire were civil wars, then a more efficient system to stop foreign enemies was not necessary. But could it really be Gallienus wish to simply have more/better troops around himself all the time so that no general commanding at the limes could think of successfully contend for the empire?

very interesting, and very important for the later period
Jens Wucherpfennig
Indeed a very impressive emperor! I still don't understand why he was after al his years as emperor assassinated. He survived a lot of rebellions and barbarian invasions.
Maybe the fact that he missed his opportunity to crush the Gallic Emperor was a reason to kill him? Someone has an idea?
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
Quote:I have all the books and articles I could find here so far but I wanted to ask if someone could help me a little bit maybe? So if anyone has any references I'd be very very grateful.
Might be easier -- and more informative for everyone -- if you listed what you've already got, Michael.

Obviously, L de Blois, The Policy of the Emperor Gallienus (with G.P. Burton's review in Classical Review 1978).
And Stéphane Ratti's Budé edition of the HA Vita Gallieni.

So what other treasures have you got?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Obviously, L de Blois, The Policy of the Emperor Gallienus
Since he's my PhD advisor, I've got his contact details if you want to ask him anything.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
oh well, thanks guys. sorry i was quite busy when I made my first post that's why it's so short.

First about the books:

I have quite a lot (besides that there isn'T too much on the subject). Interesting that you mention De Blois, it'S the only work I couldn't get so far. of the 2 editions available here in Berlin one is lost and the other one will return to the library only by the end of October :roll:

Quote:The question arises: what was different to more successful caesar boys: like the ones of Theodosius or of Valentinian?

Well the whole political situation was different. The postition of the emperor was much stronger during the dominate and after the christianisation. A boy emperor would have never been possible in earlier centuries. especially not in the 3rd.
There is no real clue why his oldest son died. The 2nd one Saloninus was killed during the uprising of Postumus.

Gallienus had left him and Silvanus the praeotian pref. in Gaul while he fought at the Danube. They were supposed to show some "royal presence". Th final problem seems to have been an argument about payment and distribution of booty. Postumus was declared emperor by the troops under his command. The reason here is simply greed of the soldiers and Postumus probably wouldn't have had another choice but to accept. As a successful general he was supported by Gallia, Britannia and Hispania. Saloninus was in an unlucky position. this rebellion was initially about money imho and didn't have too much to do with loyalty towards the emperor.
sorry this is short and lacking. i will continue when i have more time.
tbc... :roll:
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gallienus mobile heavy cavalry - Mid 3rd century Garys152 3 2,631 11-02-2016, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Gallienus\' Central Cavalry Reserve Artorius1960 1 1,357 03-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat