Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bearskin or wolfskin?
OK, since there seems to be such precision in identifying the various species used as pelts for signifers and the like, please identify the animal pelts used by the aquilifers, signifers, and vexillarii depicted on these coins:

[Image: DACICVS.jpg]

[Image: hadriancoin.jpg]

[Image: disciplin1.jpg]

And no, the first two at least are not Praetorians— they are identified specifically as the "Army of Dacia" and the "Army of Britannia."
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
I was searching last week-end for horse hair(tails) for crests and found a
very large assortment of sites carrying everything from badger to bear. Many of these supply American Indian people with hides for ceremonial purposes. I even googled fake,faux fur and found a couple of places with faux leopard and other exotic pelts. There was no shortage of bear(any kind/color) or coyote and wolf. They came as "faces" or whole pelts.
Sorry, I didn't think to check about shipping for our European brothers.

T. Flavius Crispus- the middle(Brittania) coin looks to me to wear musculata with pteryges. Sure can't tell what fur, though.
The last one looks like some kind of cat on the end guy. Almost looks like spots by the pock marks in the metal. I guess leopard.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Quote:OK, since there seems to be such precision in identifying the various species used as pelts for signifers and the like, please identify the animal pelts used by the aquilifers, signifers, and vexillarii depicted on these coins:

And no, the first two at least are not Praetorians— they are identified specifically as the "Army of Dacia" and the "Army of Britannia."

Okay! You have convinced me, anyone coming to an event with an unidentifiable pelt worn by their standard bearers might be historically correct! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
I think the one on the middle left is wearing a weasel. Probably a lawyer, eh?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Anybody got information about the use of Lynx skins in Roman days?

G·MAR·SCIPIO·MIL·OPT·COH·XV·VOL·C·R
Do lynxes live in Europe far enough south to have been Roman acquisitions? I know they live in the Arctic and near arctic North America, and presumably Siberia.

Just asking. Don't know.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The lynx was quite common in countries like Netherlands, France, Germany, Scandinavia, etc.

G·MAR·SCIPIO·MIL·OPT·COH·XV·VOL·C·R
There are still wild cats in Scotland that may be a cousin of the Lynx, and of course David if we draw a line along Hadrians' Wall westward and carry on it would go thro' Hudson bay in Canada and further west still it hits Alaska. This is just a piece of useless info of course.
Brian Stobbs
Once upon a time, they had Lynx here too .(in Scotland that is) Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
And aurochs, too, eh? Imagine the size of the haggis you could get from one of those beasties!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
They are not only into Haggis up there they still eat the Missionaries man very savage.
Brian Stobbs
Waugh! :lol:
Haggis, and what they call Scotch eggs here, are wonderful feed.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:If you go for a bear pelt, make sure it isn't a native American species! The Romans didn't have access to them!
Tongue in cheek, or not, if you look around, you may be able to find an American black bear with brown fur. That's what I have, making a good stand-in for a European brown bear. Make sure that your bear comes with the feet and claws. I also added eyes and fake teeth to mine.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Yep, a good brown bair or a brown ish black bear will do.
I don't think the actual source will matter, but this has been discussed before so I won't dig that up again. Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  legionary eagle and wolfskin Flavius Promotus 21 7,950 01-29-2004, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Crispvs