Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Look what I found on holiday
While strolling around the Yorkshire Dales look what I came across in the carpark of the Falls Inn, Aysgarth this is were they filmed
Kevin Costener,Robin Hood Big Grin
[Image: hols003.jpg]
[Image: hols004.jpg]
Lovely place to visit Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Robin Hood? I'd say Gladiator!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
according to the text this thing was build according to ancient Roman specifications. Any comment on that?
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
That is pretty amazing! But would they have had wagons like that?
It looked cool in the movie, but I always wondered how authentic it was.
What would the Emperor and other dignitaries have traveled in?
I can't imagine Claudius traveled to Brittain on horse back, or in a litter.
:?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Robin Hood? I'd say Gladiator!

I think he was just talking about the place. Big Grin

Yes it would be interesting to know how this wagon is authentic. Does it came only from the designers brain?
ERWAN
Given that neither archers nor slingers can do very much with *horizontal* firing slits, I would rather suspect pure fantasy. Armoured wagons are a common feature of illustrations from the Middle Ages onwards (and are written about in the late Roman 'de rebus bellicis'), but I haven't heard of any successful application before engines were invented.

As to emperors travelling, I suspect perfectly normal (if luxurious) carriages. We know that senators travelled that way, and unlike the Middle Ages, Rome had no prejudice considering wheeled transport 'unmanly'. I fail to see the point of an armoured vehicle like that, really. There is no 'frag' to guard against, no artillery, car bombs, IEDs or small arms fire. The greatest threat to an emperor is going to be someone getting close enough to attack him personally, and to guard against that you'd want free access and a clear field of vision for your guardsmen, not someplace small and pokey. OK, there's archers, but if an enemy archer can get within a hundred or so yards of your commanding general, you presumably have big problems anyway.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
If you can get close enough to get at the carriage, meaning you defeated the strong detachment of elite cavalry, you can kill the horses and light a fire below it... :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)