Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
M Nonio Balbo
Anyone have any photos of the equestrian statue of M Nonio Balbo (from Pompeii?) which is in the Museum at Napoli? Or might point me to a book. I'm particularly interested in details of the cuirass.
I found some stuff online.

here Marcus Nonius Balbus junior

father Balbus
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
I believe that Early Roman Armies (Men-at-Arms) (Paperback)
by Nicholas Sekunda (Author), Richard Hook (Illustrator) has a photo fo the statue in it as well as an illustration of a Roman consul in armor based upon it.
Nope, it's full page (37) in the other Osprey Republican Roman Army 200-104 BC by Ross Cowan. Plate E by Angus McBride seems to be based on it.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks guys! I looked on line but guess I didn't look hard enough. This is important because according to a drawing I did there is clearly a pin that joins the halves together on the side. I just can't find my photos of it!

On Travis Clark's web site there are almost no depictions of "hinges" ( not truly hinges ) or a pin type connection and when reading through it it seemed this statue was more evidence that there was this type of connection used at least on some lorica musculata. Thanks now I have a clearer picture of the type of closure I will use on mine.