Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To all parents of teenagers (or future ones)
Quote:Hmmmmm, sounds familiar!!! I won't have to worry about that, as, should I have children, I will be too old and senile to notice they are turning into obnoxious teenagers!! Tongue lol:

Byron,
Unlike you, I am not lucky enough to live on an oil rig platform in the North Sea. I live next to a school bus stop. Age and senility won't help. I know from experience. During these times when children from the local schools spend a brief period of time behaving like a bunch of feral Goths or an unemployed Mongol horde, I turned to your namesake, Gaius Julius Caesar, and his writings of the siege of Alesia, for the answer: siege works. I find the the combination, going outward, of rampart and palisade, flooded trenches, pits with stakes (lilies), and lastly, wood posts with barbs (stimuli) to be an effective deterrent. Although some can still get through, most re-enactors are particularly well suited for this eventuality. The Greek phalanx is a particularly good defensive formation. And as we all know, Roman armor has good defensive qualities, the segmentata and the related Gallic series helmets being superb in defense to the head and shoulder area.

Some of our readers may be more interested in working with our community youth. Getting them involved in after school programs is a wonderful idea, and re-enacting, again comes to the foreground. Is not there a current thread lamenting the fact that there is no Egyptian re-enacting because no one wants to be the guys hauling on the ropes of the big granite block? Involvement in living history, and community public works. What better combination.

Respectfully,
Ralph Izard

Messages In This Thread
Re: To all parents of teenagers (or future ones) - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 09-11-2007, 03:31 PM