Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To all parents of teenagers (or future ones)
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6434327.stm

Big Grin D lol:

Teenage mood swing hormone found

Teenage mood swings are known to be down to hormones, but scientists claim they have identified the specific one that makes adolescents so volatile.
A team from the State University of New York identified a hormone which normally acts to calm anxiety, but the effect is reversed in adolescence.

Writing in Nature Neuroscience, the researchers say it may be possible to reverse the puberty effect.

And they add the study should help parents and teachers understand teens.

There is a biological basis for a teenager's mood swings

Dr Sheryl Smith

A hormone called THP is normally released in response to stress.

It usually behaves like a tranquiliser, acting at sites in the brain that calm brain activity and, in adults and pre-pubescent children, helps someone cope with stress.

But a mouse study by the New York team shows THP actually increases anxiety at puberty.

'Things are harder for teenagers'

They found that the target for the hormone, a specific receptor, is more prevalent in the part of the brain which regulates emotion during puberty.

This appears to reverse the normal calming effect.

Dr Sheryl Smith, who led the study says it is so far unclear why this happens, but she suggests it is because of the action of all the other hormones which come into play at puberty.

Dr Smith and her team were able to genetically alter the receptor to reverse the puberty effect.

She said it might also be possible to block the effect of the hormone. Big Grin

But Dr Smith said more research was needed before that was possible, and a more immediate benefit of the research might be to help parents and teachers understand what teenagers were going through.

"This research has revealed that there is a biological basis for a teenager's mood swings.

"They can be frustrating for parents and teachers - as well as the adolescents.

"As adults, we just deal with things, but it is harder for teenagers because of their biology. I think it's important for people to know that."
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
ROFL. I thought it was just a supernatural phenomenon where we turn evil for a few years.

Modern science taking over the role of the exorcist.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hmmmmm, sounds familiar!!! I won't have to worry about that, as, should I have children, I will be too old and senile to notice they are turning into obnoxious teenagers!! Tongue lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I heard that scientists may have found an antidote to women's mood swings too.
They are working on a protein extracted from chocolate and new shoes Tongue

Now, if they just find a cure for men's snoring and early morning flatulence the world will be damn near perfect! Big Grin
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Silly woooman! Men don't snore! Thats just an old wives tale! :lol: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Now, if they just find a cure for men's snoring and early morning flatulence the world will be damn near perfect! Big Grin
I wouldn`t want to live in a world like that anymore! Especially the morning flatulence is my speciality..
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
They'd probably cure macho chest pounding, while they were at it.
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
Well, I flatulate all day so there's no cure for me.

Legion: TBD
Quote:Well, I flatulate all day so there's no cure for me
So I guess that would be Terminal Flatulence Syndrome (TFS) so it's not your fault. It's probably encoded in your DNA, so you don't have to say "Excuse me" for just behaving like you are made. After all, if -- well, never mind.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Ugh. I hated teenagers when I *was* a teenager, lol.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
There was a time when I had 5 teenage children living in my house. It was not always a good time, but it was interesting, and no two days were alike.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Hmmmmm, sounds familiar!!! I won't have to worry about that, as, should I have children, I will be too old and senile to notice they are turning into obnoxious teenagers!! Tongue lol:

Byron,
Unlike you, I am not lucky enough to live on an oil rig platform in the North Sea. I live next to a school bus stop. Age and senility won't help. I know from experience. During these times when children from the local schools spend a brief period of time behaving like a bunch of feral Goths or an unemployed Mongol horde, I turned to your namesake, Gaius Julius Caesar, and his writings of the siege of Alesia, for the answer: siege works. I find the the combination, going outward, of rampart and palisade, flooded trenches, pits with stakes (lilies), and lastly, wood posts with barbs (stimuli) to be an effective deterrent. Although some can still get through, most re-enactors are particularly well suited for this eventuality. The Greek phalanx is a particularly good defensive formation. And as we all know, Roman armor has good defensive qualities, the segmentata and the related Gallic series helmets being superb in defense to the head and shoulder area.

Some of our readers may be more interested in working with our community youth. Getting them involved in after school programs is a wonderful idea, and re-enacting, again comes to the foreground. Is not there a current thread lamenting the fact that there is no Egyptian re-enacting because no one wants to be the guys hauling on the ropes of the big granite block? Involvement in living history, and community public works. What better combination.

Respectfully,
Ralph Izard
You know, I must be honest about local teens. Where I live the only annoying childish homo sapiens are over 25 years old. The kids are as good as gold, and even if you catch them sitting on your wall they apologise and move on very quickly, and no hard feelings (there are no local facilities for these kids).

As for the older tossers, they not only sit on your wall at 2am in the morning talking and shouting as loud as they can beneath your bedroom window, they stand on it while guiding the reversing van down the side of your house making sure it hits your wall. And when you leap out of the house with murder in your eyes and expletives on your tongue.... they act like ...teens, , apologise, and act all sheepish :wink:

And then there are the 40+ year old businessmen who wake you up at 2am, getting into their Mercedes, but not before taking a p**s on the opposite wall like a 5 year old :roll:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!