Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bags, Baggage, Carrying Food
Hi,

I'm at a loss creating some method of carrying rations and a few bits of kit for a barbarian impression. It's Pictish, but it could just as easily be iron-age British, Germanic etc.

Are there any bags in the archaeological record? How would a local Briton carry rations, fire-kit, sharpening stone, etc. Bag, blanket roll?

Confused ?? :?
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Quote:I'm at a loss creating some method of carrying rations and a few bits of kit for a barbarian impression. It's Pictish, but it could just as easily be iron-age British, Germanic etc.

Are there any bags in the archaeological record? How would a local Briton carry rations, fire-kit, sharpening stone, etc. Bag, blanket roll?

There are references at http://www.invernessfieldclub.btinterne ... ctober.htm and http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news ... ennia.html to a leather pouch found at Birne in 1999 - may be smaller than you need, but may be worth further investigation?
cheers,
Duncan
Would be nice to see something about the Birnie finds, does anybody perhaps know of any reports?

Quote:I'm at a loss creating some method of carrying rations and a few bits of kit for a barbarian impression. It's Pictish, but it could just as easily be iron-age British, Germanic etc.

I think you could always make a simple leather bag from a folded rectangle for bigger sized things or simplified versions of the bag from Bargercompascuum for the small stuff.
what about a wicker work backpack. Didn't one of the ice mummies have one ? A bit bronze ageI know but then so were straw hats :?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:Hi,

I'm at a loss creating some method of carrying rations and a few bits of kit for a barbarian impression. It's Pictish, but it could just as easily be iron-age British, Germanic etc.

Confused ?? :?
In wagons, together with women and slaves, at least that is what ancient sources say.
AKA Inaki
There is 2 Frankish bags in the museum Burg Linn ,Krefeld. One square the other a rounded bottom I cannot see a date for them but may be late 4thAD-early 6thAD Big Grin If I get a chance will scan pics.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Tony, that would be marvellous, I will try and reciprocate in some way at a later date ...!
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Mithras if you can get a hold of a copy Osprey Germanic Warrior
236-568AD the pics are in there Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Oh, I've got that somewhere. Thanks for the heads up! I'll go and dig it out ...

Paul E
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
I know it's not specifically Germanic, but there are Late Antique depictions of cloaks used as 'sacks' (stuff rolled into then, then tied up and slung over the shoulder). The Vienna Genesis shows this. For small items you may want to consider a beltpouch (I can only recall Frankish versions now, but there may well be others) and/or a shoulder bag. And like Aryaman says, you're not a Roman soldier, the heavy stuff goes into carts or on pack animals.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Quote:what about a wicker work backpack. Didn't one of the ice mummies have one ?

I always thought these backpacks (I think some were found from the Halstatt period) were almost always found in mining contexts, and perhaps mainly used to put ore or salt in them when working in the mines.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I do have access to a wicker pack, but I get the idea that if I go with that on this 12 mile march, everyone ele will fill it full of kit! I only need something for a few bits to eat, firekit, camera, phone, car-keys, etc. I may do the rolled cloak as it feels suitably impoverished and Pictish.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
Quote:I always thought these backpacks (I think some were found from the Halstatt period) were almost always found in mining contexts, and perhaps mainly used to put ore or salt in them when working in the mines.

on the barbariantour2007 thomas and stephan from boii pannonia and renatus germanicus from glesum-sippe had this backpacks. yes the find is from Hallstatt mine. but for the celtic time exist no other founds (what I know). why backpacks like this not also used outside of the mines. :?:
i think you can use it for a celtic impression but for a germanic 800, 900, 1000 years later :? ?: and this find was not found anywhere as in Hallstatt Sad

members.kabsi.at/scarlett/Barbarien07/Bild02.html

members.kabsi.at/scarlett/Barbarien07/Bild06.html

members.kabsi.at/scarlett/Barbarien07/Bild08.html

members.kabsi.at/scarlett/Barbarien07/Bild17.html

heimo from the glesums had another construction

members.kabsi.at/scarlett/Barbarien07/Bild03.html

members.kabsi.at/scarlett/Barbarien07/Bild09.html

both constructions

members.kabsi.at/scarlett/Barbarien07/Bild76.html
Quote:always thought these backpacks (I think some were found from the Halstatt period) were almost always found in mining contexts, and perhaps mainly used to put ore or salt in them when working in the mines.

Well, could it be that the only ones found have been found in mines, but that there could very well have been others used up on the surface which have simply not survived? Pretty much anything will keep in a salt mine, if it stays dry. Just a thought.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:i think you can use it for a celtic impression but for a germanic 800, 900, 1000 years later :? ?: and this find was not found anywhere as in Hallstatt Sad

I was thinking of the guy found in the Alps who apparently had two birch bark baskets with him. Considering that during the last century Russians were still making shoes from this ( Ray Mears :wink: ) and in 1930s Canada baskets were made this way shttp://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu ... %26sa%3DGI I see no reason why a tree bark or whicker basket should not be used circa 500-800 AD. Big Grin
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda