Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting from scratch
Here in Winnipeg there is no roman reenactment group. I would very much like to change all of that.
I'm not new to the reenactment game, having done ACW, Medieval (admittedly it was SCA but in our circle we tried to rise above our surroundings) and 1820's.
This beast is a bit different.
I'm thinking of starting an Auxillia unit but finding names of units not in the Notitia Dignitatum is... difficult to say the least. Not to mention the shield designs.
Now doing a Legio would be easier in principle. Shield designs and names are quite easy to come by, but the equipment itself is more expensive.
So my dilemma is this; do something that has the research done for me but is more expensive (Legio) or something that will take hours of research but cost less in the long run (Auxillia)
I may as well just ask you good folks for advice, and I hope this isn't an imposition.
And heck, if anyone DOES have a few names of Auxillia units and shield designs from the 1st century, I certainly would appreciate the info.

Oh and for the record, I plan on being the Optio of the unit and wear a Squamata (a friend of mine is punching out the squamae with a CnC punch press in the next few weeks) with an Auxillary B helmet from Deepeeka or a Gallic C.
Shields/bosses and Javelin heads will be made by me (I made a few dozen Pila heads and ferrules for Legio XX so these should be no problem) and swords/pugio will be purchased from Deepeeka.
Hopefully that should work.
Titus Petronicus Graccus
Cohors I Vindelicorvm

Pedro Bedard
Why would being an Auxillia unit less expensive that and Legio? I personally think it is that expensive/cheap you want it to be. If you go for the best of the best custom work products, it will be expensive. If you buy the cheaper stuff and make/improve things yourself, it will be a lot cheaper.

Both Auxillia and Legio need a shield, Lorica, Tunic, Boots, Belt, Sword, Dagger, Spear and Helmet. In my opinion both auxilia and legio basic impressions with the gear mentioned above are about the same price.

The search thing is something you have to choose for. Personally I didn't like searching books and internet for that much information. Just some basic knowledge was good, but now I'm started with some more detailled projects I'm getting into research things more and more, and like it. What do you like?
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jvrjenivs,
This is all true but it's the small details that make things a bit cheaper.
For instance, the Auxillia shields are all flat. No need to make a shield press.
Also, if someone wants to portray a Slinger, all they need is a tunic and a sling. Maybe Caligae too.
Also the javelins will be easier as well. I make the javelin heads on the forge (will be starting this weekend, I hope to have about 10 made based on different Roman artifacts) and the haft is cheap enough.
As for helmets, I have an account with a company that sells Deepeeka products so I can offer the guys in my unit a very nice discount.
I'm not saying the difference will be thousands of dollars, but even a hundred or so might mean the difference between gaining a new member, and losing one.
Titus Petronicus Graccus
Cohors I Vindelicorvm

Pedro Bedard
Try D Steel in India for bulk purchases (to save on shipping);
They have an Excellent Hamata for Auxillery Troops
and have a brass coolus that would look good.
They also have caligua and may be able to do period boots that Auxillia
may have worn.
They could make you some shields or just provide the boss if you want to build them yourself. They are willing to do custom sizes. They are in the design process for a Pugio and a Gladius also.
http://www.dscarmoury.com/

Tell them I sent you!
John Kaler LEGOV
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Quote:This is all true but it's the small details that make things a bit cheaper.
Quote:I'm not saying the difference will be thousands of dollars, but even a hundred or so might mean the difference between gaining a new member, and losing one.

Okay, I see what you mean, but neverless the argument that your members can decide how expensive they want to be theirselve. I must admit I didn't thought about the slingers, but that true a lot cheaper than any armored impression.

Quote:For instance, the Auxillia shields are all flat. No need to make a shield press.
Here also goes almost the same, in my opinion. The only one to invest more is you, cause you are the founder and dicided to go Legio insteat of Auxillia. If you've once made a good press, every new shield will cost a member about the same amount of monay as a flat one (if you would do both layerd, etc)

And note that Deepeeka and Daniyal steelcraft are comming with awesome new pieces for Armamentarium, SOTW, Imperium and Keltica. All that will support you with quality stuff at an affordable price, I think everyone who's seriously interested in Roman Military re-enactment would afford over the years.
ALA I BATAVORUM
You make a good argument that's for sure.
Well the nice thing is that this unit is a unit in principle only. This way we can discuss the pros and cons of everything and (hopefully) come to a consensus.
Titus Petronicus Graccus
Cohors I Vindelicorvm

Pedro Bedard