Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meet Parthian & Selucid singles
This turned up on my Archaeological search engine:

http://www.24x7updates.com/news/2007093 ... 11729.html

Please note the singles ad below and to the side of the main article... Archaeology seems to have changed its academic focus a bit since I was active.

Ralph
Damn! They look pretty hot too! But I think I can find the same in Greece without converting to another faith...... :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I can only spot different ads, but caviar is quite interesting as well. :wink:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
In the 15 minutes since I posted, the the "Iranian Singles" link was changed to "Archaeology in Israel". Just to clarify the original content of the page, BTW...

I see no reference to caviar... so I guess the ads are generated on a random basis, and no one sees the same thing twice.

But now as I check again, the link is back.

In any event the archaeological sites referenced should be of some interest.

Edit: I see two references to the "Burnt City" but no reference to what it was or what period it belongs to. Almost an Edgar Rice Burrows like ring.

Ralph
Quote:I see two references to the "Burnt City" but no reference to what it was or what period it belongs to.
Like Jiroft, the Burnt City belongs to the most ancient urban settlements in Iran: the top levels date back to the first half of the third millennium BCE. Lower levels still have to be excavated, but it is very likely that these were cities as early as the fourth millennium.

This proves -at the very least- that Sumeria was not the only "cradle of civilization"; and in fact it more spectacular theories have been developed. One of them is that it all started in Iran, and that civilization (defined as urban life) moved from there to the Indus Valley and to Elam. This may explain the linguistic similarities between the Dravidian languages of India and ancient Elamite.

As far as I know, those linguistic similarities are not really proved; and only two text are known from Jiroft, still undecifered. So, evidence is almost absent. Still, some chapters from our class books on ancient history need to be rewritten (more...), and the spectacular theory might indeed be the "future history of prehistory".
Jona Lendering
My website
What about the lost civilisations from the end of the ice age, that are now under water around the coast of India? Were thay not supposed to date to
10k :? years ago? Big flood theory, or was that just hokum too?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:What about the lost civilisations from the end of the ice age, that are now under water around the coast of India? Were thay not supposed to date to
10k :? years ago? Big flood theory, or was that just hokum too?
If it's underwater, one cannot excavate it; so it's probably an untestable hypothesis. That's the moment when I become very skeptical.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:If it's underwater, one cannot excavate it
I'm sure our friends the underwater archaeologists would beg to differ. Although the sunken civilization off the coast of India doesn't sound very promising.

Quote:Sumeria
Just a nit-picky thing, but there's only 'Sumer', no 'Sumeria' -- used to drive my Sumerian professor crazy. Probably still does...
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:
Jona Lendering:1frxx369 Wrote:Sumeria
Just a nit-picky thing, but there's only 'Sumer', no 'Sumeria' -- used to drive my Sumerian professor crazy. Probably still does...
That would be a strong argument to continue to use it... Nothing is more fun than teasing people a bit. :wink:
Jona Lendering
My website
I hear a slightly distorted Echo here!!!! :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I hear a slightly distorted Echo here!!!! :lol:
You just catch me between rewriting a post, erroneously uploading it as a new entry (instead of reuploading it), and removing it. There ought to be one post now.
Jona Lendering
My website
Sorry, was only teasing....getting bored here waiting for delivery! :roll: :?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
......ah, Byron, perhaps it's time to change your 'handle' again......to Loki !! Smile D lol:
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
I should know that for some reason..... :?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Meet a Horseman Vindex 5 1,481 04-11-2012, 02:23 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius