Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canadians never have ..what??
Quote:Sorry Robert, but... Come to London as a pedestrian and find out how dangerous and obnoxious cyclists can be. I've nearly been hit by the *£*%&"!!s on pedestrian crossings (I had to kick one over before he put me in hospital), and I know others who have. They ignore traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, and every other law of the road you can possibly think of, including One Way systems. I hate them, a sizeable portion of London hates them, and in London a lot of the time it's their own fault. I think you'll find they're the ones Clarkson's talking about, and I agree with him wholeheartedly.

http://disgruntledcommuter.wordpress.co ... of-london/
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/e ... rthree.htm

At first, I was a little miffed by Clarkson's comments about cyclists, since I am one, but then I figured it's part of his business image. Besides, with a lot of cyclists he's right, like you said. Since I spend my workday driving, I get fed up too. I can't count the number of times I've almost hit a rider who'd just ignored the red light and whipped past me as I was accelerating.

My city uses European ones as a model for integrating streets and paths for cyclists with the regular ones, so it's always a topic here. A lot of folks respect the ethics of sharing the road, but a lot don't, especially downtown. Couriers are the worst. Cyclists are required to obey the same traffic laws that motorists do. Generally speaking, I do, but if it's midnight on a quiet street and I know for sure no one's around, then I'll go through a red light after stopping and making dead sure of it. That's only in cases like that; usually I don't play chicken with a ton of rolling steel. I'll lose, and ruin someone else's day along with my own. 4x4 signposts hurt bad enough Smile , can't imagine what a Ford bumper feels like.
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
Quote:Sorry Robert, but... Come to London as a pedestrian and find out how dangerous and obnoxious cyclists can be. I've nearly been hit by the *£*%&"!!s on pedestrian crossings (I had to kick one over before he put me in hospital), and I know others who have. They ignore traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, and every other law of the road you can possibly think of, including One Way systems. I hate them, a sizeable portion of London hates them, and in London a lot of the time it's their own fault. I think you'll find they're the ones Clarkson's talking about, and I agree with him wholeheartedly.

Oh, I don't doubt you're right, but I never said cyclists were innocent. besides, you're comparing cyclists to pedestrians, which is not what Clarkson was about in the first place. He's on about mowing down cyclists because he thinks they should not be on the road, anyway.

Pedestrians is quite another cup of tea. Especially when they move in herds. Ever seen those documentaries about moving herds of deer, wildebeast or buffalo? I bet you have. Now, change the scene to the city, and change the animals for pedestrians. Get the picture?

Once, whilst I was waiting in my car for the light to turn to green, such a herd crossed the road from an auctian hall to the central station. My light changed to green, they kept moving, as if obeying some inner voice telling them to migrate. When I indicated that I wanted to drive on, they instantly became agressive and started banging on my car! can you imagine that?

Traffic is worse than nature. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yes, but cyclists are arrogant too. :roll:
If pedestrians start banging on your car, you can claim selfdefense..... :lol: and they are easier to get than a cyclist, especially when in herd mode..... Confusedhock:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Yes, but cyclists are arrogant too. :roll:

Tell me about it - I lived in a big city too! :roll:
They can be very.. very.. well, Jeremy told us all about that.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Yes, I can imagine you understad completely! After all, Holland is the Bicycle capital of Europe!! :lol: 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
We are!! Big Grin

Let's move on to motorcycles now - has anyone else besides me been annoyed lately by a motorcycle during a traffic jam? When all cars stand still or drive slowly, they whizz by, left, right and centre, sometimes just inches from my rear view mirror! :evil:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Yes, but at least you are les likely to be stuck behind one...... :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Pedestrians is quite another cup of tea. Especially when they move in herds. Ever seen those documentaries about moving herds of deer, wildebeast or buffalo? I bet you have. Now, change the scene to the city, and change the animals for pedestrians. Get the picture?

Once, whilst I was waiting in my car for the light to turn to green, such a herd crossed the road from an auctian hall to the central station. My light changed to green, they kept moving, as if obeying some inner voice telling them to migrate. When I indicated that I wanted to drive on, they instantly became agressive and started banging on my car! can you imagine that?

Traffic is worse than nature. :wink:

But it's the natural order of things! People were here loooooong before cars! :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!