Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Montefortino helmet at Royal Athena
Thought this was tasty. Attributed to Etruscan, which puts it in Italy at least.

ETRUSCAN BRONZE HELMET OF MONTEFORTINO TYPE
4th-3rd Century BC

http://www.royalathena.com/PAGES/etrusc ... CNB02.html

[Image: CNB02pro.jpg]

Those triple discs do get around :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
That is a beaut! Survived the years well, it seems.

So, from what I've learned so far the Montefortino is a Celtic type, yes? This would indicate that the Etruscans, like the Romans, were also influenced by Celtic works. I remark on this because I know next to nothing about Etruria, aside from their struggles with Rome.

So back on track...were the triple discs commonly used on cheekpieces? Is it an Etruscan motif? I've seen them on pectorals, but wasn't sure elsewhere.
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!! Smile D

The tripls discs are reminiscent of the pectoral armour, but if you take a step back I think it has a slightly cletic feel about it.
Mark Downes/Mummius

Cent Gittus, COH X. LEG XX. VV. Deva Victrix

There are others with the triple disc motiff! No prizes for guessing what kind of armour may have been used with these! :lol: It would be great for a Republican impression, but not too sure if the Romans went for the tri-disc on the cheek pieces.

Anyway, at that bargain price, will have to rush out and get it!!!!! Tongue

Nice find Jim!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
One of these was found in an Etrsucan grave with a Hoplite panolpy of shield, bronze muscled cuirass, grieves." P Connolly- Greece & Rome at War"

The Celts were chums with the Samnites and apparently liked their cheek pieces so much they bought the company Big Grin
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Many 'Montefortino' helmets with 'triple-disc' cheekpieces have been found in graves of the Celtic Senones tribe in the Po valley - originally from a cemetary at Montefortino, hence the name ! Smile

This a good example of cross-fertilisation of cultures - here Celtic and several Italian ones.

Great find, Tarbicus !! Big Grin
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
That web site looks familiar! :? ?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:One of these was found in an Etrsucan grave with a Hoplite panolpy of shield, bronze muscled cuirass, grieves." P Connolly- Greece & Rome at War"
http://web-facstaff.sas.upenn.edu/~dpd/ ... plies.html
If you scroll down to number 6, that'll be the one you're thinking of, the panoply from Orvieto. There are also a couple panoplies with triple-disc Montefortinos from the Perugia necropoleis (nos. 11 and 12), and a single helmet in the Villa Giulia Museum.

Quote:So, from what I've learned so far the Montefortino is a Celtic type, yes? This would indicate that the Etruscans, like the Romans, were also influenced by Celtic works.
The most recent thinking is that it was an Etruscan type originally, but certainly indicative of cross-fertilization. The triple-disc cheek pieces are modelled on the 'Samnite' triple-disc cuirasses, although the general range of the cuirass is more southerly and the helmets more northerly.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:The most recent thinking is that it was an Etruscan type originally, but certainly indicative of cross-fertilization. The triple-disc cheek pieces are modelled on the 'Samnite' triple-disc cuirasses, although the general range of the cuirass is more southerly and the helmets more northerly.

Who has been doing this thinking please ?

As regards the modeling , didn't the Samnites have triple disc cheek pieces on their Attic helmets ?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
A far as I know.... :?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The most recent thinking is that it was an Etruscan type originally, but certainly indicative of cross-fertilization

....do we take it that this means now that the earliest dated helmet found in an Etruscan context pre-dates the Gallic invasion of the Po valley ?
More information, please, Dan ! Smile
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman helmet from Royal-Athena Galleries. Septimus Naso 8 2,462 01-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Last Post: marcos
  Iron Age grave a unique find - Montefortino helmet in UK! Peroni 3 2,115 10-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Franklin
  Systems of subjection of the montefortino helmet marcii ulpi messala 4 1,613 12-04-2006, 08:53 AM
Last Post: marcii ulpi messala