Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "three pointed" oil lamp? Real or fantasy?
I've been watching Rome lately (yeah I know but I like the story and the characters are fun) and I've noticed that in a lot of places they have these "three pointed" oil lamps in brass hanging from iron stands.
Are these real or made-up?
I'm a fairly accomplished Blacksmith (having done several dozen Pila for Legio XX in the US) and was thinking this would be a fun project. But not if it's pure fantasy. If I want fantasy, I'll go back to the SCA...
Titus Petronicus Graccus
Cohors I Vindelicorvm

Pedro Bedard
Quote:having done several dozen Pila for Legio XX in the US

Which are great stuff: glad to see you here Pedro. I dont' recall that lamp: can anyone post a picture of it? We can then find if it's based on an artifact or not.
Otherwise, are you saying you'd be interested in non-pilum iron commissions? Or non-iron commissions?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Rome was great!
I am sure I have seen a three wick lamps somewhere, whether as reconstruction or real artifact I cannot recall!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Here is one that I found with Two wicks;
http://www.britannica.com/eb/art-6331/R ... s-from-the
But I haven't found one with three yet. I may just content myself with a two-wick version. Now, to find enough wax to make the primary mold...hmmm...
(honestly, I'll probably just go with stoneware. So much easier and safer too)

And what sort of project did you have in mind Richard? It's been a while since I got to do some (read:any) sort of ironwork project and I miss it terribly. Sigh not enough time in the day I suppose.
Titus Petronicus Graccus
Cohors I Vindelicorvm

Pedro Bedard
I take it you mean the 'triple' lamps, that hang from chains, Pedro?

You will be pleased to know they are not fantasy !! Big Grin

A number of these come from Pompeii ( as did much else of the settings in "Rome" ) , some quite elaborately decorated, e.g. with actors tragic masks.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Thanks for the info Paul!
Do you know if they were all brass or were some of them stoneware/terracotta?
The reason I ask is that I have a potter who works in a studio upstairs from our store that is willing to do whatever and he's not above sticking to historical specs.
Pics would be much appreciated!
Vale,
Titus Petronicus Graccus
Cohors I Vindelicorvm

Pedro Bedard
Welcome to the forum Pedro! My pilum shaft has served me well all these years. What are you up to?

Legion: TBD
Quote:what sort of project did you have in mind Richard?

Ohh....things I have to budget in. I just commissioned Julia Passomonti for a replica of the chicken/rooster pitcher unearthed on the counter of Asellina's caupona in Pompeii.
But, dangley bronze or iron stuff from Pompeii is a goal. I was working also on butterfly bosses for my new shield: can you do those? I have a crease running down the center for it, which Matt insisted upon and which is giving me fits to carve for the wood boss.
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Quote:Welcome to the forum Pedro! My pilum shaft has served me well all these years. What are you up to?

Well, working full time, running a game/hobby store and spending time with the family. Now, I'm planning on starting a small Auxillia unit here in town.
And any time I can, I get out to the forge (which is rare nowadays)
Titus Petronicus Graccus
Cohors I Vindelicorvm

Pedro Bedard
Quote:
Quote:what sort of project did you have in mind Richard?

Ohh....things I have to budget in. I just commissioned Julia Passomonti for a replica of the chicken/rooster pitcher unearthed on the counter of Asellina's caupona in Pompeii.
But, dangley bronze or iron stuff from Pompeii is a goal. I was working also on butterfly bosses for my new shield: can you do those? I have a crease running down the center for it, which Matt insisted upon and which is giving me fits to carve for the wood boss.

Sounds interesting. Have any pics? (not just of the iron/bronze stuff from Pompeii) but of the boss that is giving your problems. Maybe I can help.
Titus Petronicus Graccus
Cohors I Vindelicorvm

Pedro Bedard
Gorgeous bronze oil lamps (inspired by archaeological finds, but not strict reproductions...)

http://www.eganbronze.com/Pages/lamps.html

-A
Aurelia Coritana
aka Laura Sweet
[url:3tjsw0iy]http://www.theromanway.org[/url]
[url:3tjsw0iy]http://www.legionten.org[/url]

Si vales, gaudeo. (If you are well, then I am happy.)
Nice link, Aurelia, interesting info! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:some of them stoneware/terracotta?
I should mention that one of the vendors on RAT, Julia Passamonti, can do four to six wick pottery hanging lamps. I think she has images on her Venetian Cat website
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Quote:
Quote:some of them stoneware/terracotta?
I should mention that one of the vendors on RAT, Julia Passamonti, can do four to six wick pottery hanging lamps. I think she has images on her Venetian Cat website

Lovely site! Thanks very much for pointing it out.
Some great ideas there.
Titus Petronicus Graccus
Cohors I Vindelicorvm

Pedro Bedard
Hi Pedro,

here's a beautiful original from Pompeii, now in the Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Napoli:

lamp with 3 wicks