Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theban Cavalry vs Thracian Swordsmen Illustration
Paul,
Yes, I have great interest in the tactics and battles from the second Punic War. Right now I'm working on mostly Greek and Macedonian themes for clients. Once things calm down, I'm going to do some Punic War stuff....!
Thanks again,
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
As always fantastic work Johnny. By the way I am glad that your work on Macedonian themes :-) )
Kallimachos a.k.a. Kurt

Athina Itonia
[Image: smallsun1.gif]
[url=http://www.hetairoi.de:4a9q46ao][/url]
Quote:Paul,
Once things calm down, I'm going to do some Punic War stuff....!

I'll be eagerly waiting Big Grin
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
I love the detail and and the lighting in the painting, I like that the Thracians are depicted as red haired and that their sheild and clothing designs are archaic and accurate. Keep up the execellent work. We need work like this in Osprey books. I reall cannot tolerate the illustrators that are attempting to choose to replace the late great Mr. McBride.
@ Johnny: Wonderful. I hope you will stay still very very long with Greek and Macedonian themes. :wink:

@ Konstantine: Just for interest, what artists do you mean? And not everybody likes the work of the late Angus McBride. :roll:
Wolfgang Zeiler
In texts white helmets are mentioned in 4th century.
Pottery showing Beotian troops starts from mid 5th century.
I will try to find also the sources for Thracian totems.

Kind regards
Johnny,

all has been said in this and other topics about You already, so in one word - phantastic. You are the true Apelles of our time.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Quote:The Dioi had the mountain lion (cugar) as their tribal totem.

Just a note to stave off intercontinental confusion. Cougars only live in the new world. The "panthers" of the old world were the now extinct European lions. These would have lived in smaller prides than those we normally see in africa, perhaps hunting alone more as well. The males also seem to have had a less robust mane if we can extrapolate from the Indian lion. If someone were looking for a model than I'd point them to the Indian lions of Gujarat, or perhaps the potentially extinct Barbary lion.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Your art level keeps growing and growing Johnny, when are you making a 4th century AD painting? :wink: Idea
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Beautiful work again, Johnny! You have a great eye for the perspective of kopides... do you own one?
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
You're not being too nice to these poor psiloi right now, Johnny! First Cunaxa, where despite Xenopon I have no doubt a few were killed and more bruised and scared, and now this. Although these lot had committed a senseless atrocity, so I hardly blame you.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:Your art level keeps growing and growing Johnny, when are you making a 4th century AD painting? :wink: Idea

Indeed! WHEN????
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
"4th century AD painting"....

What's a good theme or battle..?

Johnny
Johnny Shumate
What about Julian's Persian campaign? I'd like that! Or Argentoratum's battle..
Or the Milvian bridge battle!
What about some Adrianopolis battle scene?
Or some bagaudae skirmishes...

More ideas please!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Late Empire ideas:

Aurelian supervising the building of Rome's "Aurelian" Walls.

Aurelian subduing Palmyra/Zenobia
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theban Army, Battle of Luectra Johnny Shumate 52 11,345 07-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Last Post: conon394
  Theban Sacred Band Anonymous 0 2,715 11-20-2003, 05:15 AM
Last Post: Anonymous