Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this statue from Antiquity? Is it from the time of Julius
Ave,

In correspondence with Travis Lee Clark, he noted that this statue of Julius Caesar has post-Hadrian or Antonian style fringe; the thicker style of twisted fringe at the end of the Pteryges.

Does anyone know the date or when this statue was carved?

Was it made during Julius Caesar’s life or shortly after his death or was it made more than 182 years later as tribute after the reign of Emperor Antoninus Pius? Is it from Antiquity at all?

Note, the first two statues appear to be copies of each other, the first having straight shoulder doublers and second having the offset doublers (yes, can I pay attention to detail or what?!? :wink: )

The reason for my question is… I rather like this larger, less common style of twisted fringe, and I wanted to use it for my Time of Caesar officer’s impression but, if the very late Republic/very early Empire didn’t have this style… well, then I don’t want to use it.

[Image: Julius%20caesar%20statue.gif]

[Image: Caesar_Rome_Italy.jpg]

This statue of Caesar also has the larger thicker twisted fringe but, as Travis Lee Clark noted, it appears to have been restored and may not have originally be a statue of Casear at all.
[Image: Julius%20caesar%20statue%20II_small.jpg]
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
I do believe, I am proably wrong, that this statue was raised during the regin of Augustus.
Marcus Marius Agrippa
Will Dial
"Stop quoting laws, we carry weapons." - Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus