Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deepeeka "macedonian/thracian" helmet!
Howdy!

Is this so-called macedonian helmet of any use? In my opinion it looks reasonably accurate (although the artificial colouring is very dubious). Has anyone seen one in real life and perhaps been wearing one? I am tempted to buy one on my book-shelf if it is any good :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
That horribly obvious rivetting at the base of the crest is authentic ( I don't like the original!). The whole pattern is a good impression of a find. As you say, the colour is nasty and probably won't survive much cleaning. Mind you, iron helmets existed in the Alexandrian period, so if the bronze comes off, it won't matter!
Thanks Paul!

Maybe I will buy one as a decorative item, then? Btw, I am reading just now a biography of Alexander the great by Peter Green and in my opinion it seems the best biography of him so far (second one is perhaps Robin Lane Fox and then Paul Cartledge). By this I mean a narrative flow of a general biography. It takes a quite objective view of this great man and also captures the athmosphere in a great way...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Interesting, but it doesn't look quite right, if it is the helmet I am thinking of (see e.g. p.89 "Warfare in the Classical World" or p.70 no.1"Greece and Rome at War").......... Sad
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Interesting, but it doesn't look quite right, if it is the helmet I am thinking of (see e.g. p.89 "Warfare in the Classical World" or p.70 no.1"Greece and Rome at War").......... Sad
Yes, the bowl of the helmet is more or less the same as the bowl in "Greece and Rome at War" by Peter Connolly on page 70. The cheekpiece is a loose interpretation of a cheekpiece seen in Nick Sekunda`s "Warriors of Ancient Greece" (Osprey) on page 61...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Be carefull of what is in the market.

Our own example (Indian manufacture) has asymetrous cheek guards.

The quality of the finish at the neckguard is such that you might get cuts if you are not careful.
Perhaps our club bought a faulty specimen but that is a good reason to be careful. Better not buy if you cannot see before hand.

Kind regards
I like this one from Manning Imperial, personally.

[Image: 366main.jpg]

http://manningimperial.com/item.php?ite ... =3&c_id=56
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Reminds me of the prototype for the "Tin Man" from the "Wizard of Oz".
Oops,late again. I mean the first riveted one.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
This armorer use to have one in stock very nice, I dunno why he put that small picture
http://www.varmouries.com/

[Image: arch_13@.jpg]
================================================

Here is my 2003 copy of the site.
Razonable price and it looks better, second after the one Of Manning, but its for medium size 21"-23" head c.

Click twice:
[Image: scan0013mp6.th.jpg]

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
I think these are the pieces it's based on:

edited by moderator due to violation of forum rule #5
Regards,

Hisham
Well, I just ordered the Deepeeka "macedonian/thracian" helmet from ARMAE for 159;- euro`s in all. I know it is not very accurate but I have been longing for something reminding me of Alexander the greats time on my bookshelf, so this will be only a decorative item.

Christophe from ARMAE said that the specimen he will send me will be in ok condition (symmetric cheekpieces etc.) So we`ll see how monstrous a mistake I have made in buying this helmet :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Quote:Well, I just ordered the Deepeeka "macedonian/thracian" helmet from ARMAE for 159;- euro`s in all. I know it is not very accurate but I have been longing for something reminding me of Alexander the greats time on my bookshelf, so this will be only a decorative item.

Christophe from ARMAE said that the specimen he will send me will be in ok condition (symmetric cheekpieces etc.) So we`ll see how monstrous a mistake I have made in buying this helmet :wink: ...

Maybe too late Virilis but you can see the three style from Valentine that I have posted above in these guys.

[Image: 560greeceengineeringaneri6.jpg]
By Gioi

Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Who are these guys?
Do they have web/URL address?
Kind regards
Quote:Who are these guys?
Do they have web/URL address?
Kind regards

Of course Stefanos...yes I think they are from Nea Yorki (US)

http://www.thegreekwarriors.com/

Salve guys & gals, my "macedonian helmet" has arrived. I have to say that I am positively surprised by it :lol: ! Perhaps not authentic, but it looks COOL 8) . The cheekpieces are symmetric and it is easy to bend them to fit your facial features. I think with a price of 159,- euro`s (including sending costs) it was a bargain...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thracian helmet images? richard robinson 2 1,800 02-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Last Post: richard robinson
  Phyrgian / Thracian helmet? Gaius Julius Caesar 13 4,876 12-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Decebalus
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,805 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite